Parking

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=139456]

I don’t have a problem with the council spending taxes on providing free parking for people with cars, but only if they match the funds they use with funds spent on public transport. People who don’t have a car should not have to help subsidise those who do.

Bubble, I think you misunderstand the debate. Taxes are not being spent to provide free parking. The car parks actually make a profit and that money goes into council coffers to pay towards other services. My point at the meeting was to freeze car park charges as any increases would deter people from visiting the town to shop or whatever. Also rather than take away the existing free parking during certain hours (which was the proposal), I wanted to see more free parking targeted at Local residents to spend more time in town. The car parks would still make a profit and the Council could use that money as it does now to go towards its budgets. The subject will now go to public consultation, and everybody will have an opportunity to have their say.

[/quote]

Well said Mike, I don’t understand, me being just an ordinary commoner, unlike all the illustrious councillors and Council big wigs that frequent this site !! how putting parking prices up attracts people to come and shop in a town (and it hurts me to say this as having lived in Wrexham for all of my life) that lets be honest leaves a lot to be desired at this moment in time, and believe me I want Wrexham to thrive as a town.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would, and indeed do, pay whatever is requested to park in or around Chester, because they have what you call shops, cafes a serious museum, a cathedral, pleasant city centre walking, city walls, a lovely well kept park, river cruises a race course, street entertainers, clean streets, dog friendly eateries and pubs, in which you are unlikely to get y lights punched out……. unlike Wrexham. it’ll take more than free parking, a newly emulssioned market hall to pull serious numbers into the dump that is Wrexham town centre.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=139456]

I don’t have a problem with the council spending taxes on providing free parking for people with cars, but only if they match the funds they use with funds spent on public transport. People who don’t have a car should not have to help subsidise those who do.

Bubble, I think you misunderstand the debate. Taxes are not being spent to provide free parking. The car parks actually make a profit and that money goes into council coffers to pay towards other services. My point at the meeting was to freeze car park charges as any increases would deter people from visiting the town to shop or whatever. Also rather than take away the existing free parking during certain hours (which was the proposal), I wanted to see more free parking targeted at Local residents to spend more time in town. The car parks would still make a profit and the Council could use that money as it does now to go towards its budgets. The subject will now go to public consultation, and everybody will have an opportunity to have their say.[/quote]

Providing free parking in a council run car park would still deprive the council of revenue, however small that amount might be, and it is all of us – not just car owners – who bear that cost. So if we’re talking in technicalities, perhaps the amount of revenue LOST by the council in providing x amounts of hours free parking to car owners could be matched by the same amount being spent on public transport for those who do not have cars. Just because the council owns the car park and makes a profit in parking charges does not mean this only affects people with cars – why should the council provide free parking for car owners without also helping those who rely on public transport.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=139473]

Bubble, I think you misunderstand the debate. Taxes are not being spent to provide free parking. The car parks actually make a profit and that money goes into council coffers to pay towards other services. My point at the meeting was to freeze car park charges as any increases would deter people from visiting the town to shop or whatever. Also rather than take away the existing free parking during certain hours (which was the proposal), I wanted to see more free parking targeted at Local residents to spend more time in town. The car parks would still make a profit and the Council could use that money as it does now to go towards its budgets. The subject will now go to public consultation, and everybody will have an opportunity to have their say.

Providing free parking in a council run car park would still deprive the council of revenue, however small that amount might be, and it is all of us – not just car owners – who bear that cost. So if we’re talking in technicalities, perhaps the amount of revenue LOST by the council in providing x amounts of hours free parking to car owners could be matched by the same amount being spent on public transport for those who do not have cars. Just because the council owns the car park and makes a profit in parking charges does not mean this only affects people with cars – why should the council provide free parking for car owners without also helping those who rely on public transport.

[/quote]

And I am afraid there lies the problem with Wrexham as iout alludes to, the only way is down :(

bubble
    Participant

It really annoys me that Mike Davies is quoted as saying “I think it would be great to see a scheme where local tax payers could have free parking for two or three hours a week”, as if only [and all] car drivers are taxpayers. I’m willing to bet that Mike has a car and possibly overlooked those of us who don’t.

I also think it right that the council’s car parks should be used to make a profit, or else as assets they should just be sold off. But if the council wants to extend a welcoming free parking period to its car driving ‘taxpayers’, it should also be considering an equivalent gesture to those who don’t even have a regular bus service.

Perhaps car drivers are just more equal than other Wrexham residents.

But as has also been stated on this thread, Wrexham is a dump. When I moved here I foolishly ignored warnings that Wrexham is grim. One guy actually told me that Wrexham should be tarmacked over and turned into a car park for Chester.

Mike Davies
    Participant

[quote quote=139473]

[/quote]

Bubble, the council already provides free parking at certain times, the proposal is to remove that free time. My point was to keep the free periods. So there is no loss of current revenue as there is no charge for these hours at present. The car parks do not use tax payers money. They generate enough income to pay for themselves with some profit which is returned to the council. The council uses that money to pay towards other services.

As you say in a different post, you think the town is a dump, well perhaps if we can encourage more people to travel to town, maybe the shops will thrive and the town may improve. Regarding a subsidy to public transport, there is nothing to stop you speaking to your own elected representative and ask them to look into it. But it is a totally different arguement. The council makes a profit from cars using the town, they do not make anything from people who travel by bus or train. The bus or train companies make the profit.

By the way, I do not have a problem with subsidised public transport. I believe that Central Government should be involved in this. However, that is a different topic and this discussion was about car parking charges.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=139476]

Bubble, the council already provides free parking at certain times, the proposal is to remove that free time. My point was to keep the free periods. So there is no loss of current revenue as there is no charge for these hours at present. The car parks do not use tax payers money. They generate enough income to pay for themselves with some profit which is returned to the council. The council uses that money to pay towards other services.

As you say in a different post, you think the town is a dump, well perhaps if we can encourage more people to travel to town, maybe the shops will thrive and the town may improve. Regarding a subsidy to public transport, there is nothing to stop you speaking to your own elected representative and ask them to look into it. But it is a totally different arguement. The council makes a profit from cars using the town, they do not make anything from people who travel by bus or train. The bus or train companies make the profit.

By the way, I do not have a problem with subsidised public transport. I believe that Central Government should be involved in this. However, that is a different topic and this discussion was about car parking charges.[/quote]

Well, that’s me told.

If I thought speaking to my elected representative would make any difference, then I would speak to them. Perhaps the town only looks like a dump to those of us who regularly have need to pass through the bus station and surrounding area. I’ll keep on catching the bus to Chester, I think – at least it’s regular and I don’t feel like a second class citizen simply because I don’t have a car.

Nen
    Participant

Wrexham Council failing to see the bigger picture again

Parking rates go up
    > Less people come in to town to shop
    > Less retail businesses attracted into town
    > Business rates income goes down
    > Council deficit increases
    > Need to increase parking rates again
    > Cycle continues

However….
    Parking rates reduced
    > More people come in to town to shop
    > More retail businesses attracted into town
    > Business rates income goes up
    > Council deficit reduces
    > etc

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=139501]Wrexham Council failing to see the bigger picture again

Parking rates go up
    > Less people come in to town to shop
    > Less retail businesses attracted into town
    > Business rates income goes down
    > Council deficit increases
    > Need to increase parking rates again
    > Cycle continues

However….
    Parking rates reduced
    > More people come in to town to shop
    > More retail businesses attracted into town
    > Business rates income goes up
    > Council deficit reduces
    > etc

[/quote]

Precisely again that’s the way I see it along with many others, another point in case is Mold 50p parking for three hours and the place is absolutely vibrant.(not free I know but 50p is obviously acceptable to people)

Alunh
    Participant

Got to support the very relevant points made by Nen and MP1953.

I’ve got a shop in Bank Street. It’s hard work. It’s quite soul destroying when the remark is made that Wrexham is a dump and there’s nothing in it. Bank Street is a great example of a vibrant street and when I look at those parts of Wrexham’s retail and cafe offer that didn’t even exist a few years ago, it does make me wonder. Ok there are problems…many of them. Equally, a town that puts out the welcome mat to visitors……coming by Bus, Car, Train Bike or on Foot…..has a chance at getting better….much better.

This is not about Pedestrians vs Car drivers, Tax payers subsidising, or any such like. It’s simply about getting people into town by hook or by crook, spending money, and encouraging Business and Enterprise to flourish. Believe it or not, Entrepreneurs will invest in Wrexham but they do need to see signs of encouragement and a willingness to set the scene correctly. Bike lanes, a Bike Park, better Bus services, a Coach Park……bring them all on

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News