Overgrown Ivy / Overhanging tree – WMBC

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Overgrown Ivy / Overhanging tree – WMBC

• Author

Sam
    Participant

Hi all, I’m looking for a bit of advice please.

I have just submitted this report into FixMyStreet team, It highlights my parents issue with a problem with plants / trees.

Overgrown Ivy / Overhanging tree – Viewing a problem :: FixMyStreet

I’ve read the WMBC’s guidelines Document.

QUOTE – ”Your problem had the title: Overgrown Ivy / Overhanging tree

And details: My Parents have telephoned WMBC regarding both
    issues of the Overgrown Ivy / Overhanging tree which is local
    to their property several times over the last 2 years. Several
    replies have been returned to them, I shall summarize them
    below:

Its not owned by us. (although they trimmed the tree back 2.5
    years ago !) If it falls on your house you’ll have to claim on
    your insurance. We’ll do it when we improve the road surface.

I do not mind carrying out the work myself, but prefer the
    council to at least give my parents (pensioners) options over
    than living directly under an overhanging tree.

Yours,
    The FixMyStreet team”

The advice I am seeking is:

How do I find out who owns the land ? Exhaustive attempts already !

What is deemed reasonable lengths to find out who the owner of the plants /trees are ?

If I for fill the above, with no progress, could I trim the trees myself, abiding by current Health & Safety laws ? (I’m H&S Savvy !)

My parents are really getting upset with this on going Saga with no end insight yet.

I’ll enlighten you to how the Fixmystreet team get on with the issue too.

Many Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice

justjojo2011
    Participant

My understanding is, anything that is public is local authority. Have you contacted your local councillor for advice?

Sam
    Participant

That’s what I was led to believe, but the ownership of the land seems to be a very contended issue locally.
    I believe all local avenues of finding ownership have been tried.
    I bet if I was to trim back the trees myself, someone would prosecute me. Only then would we find out the real owner.

Ray
    Participant

A couple of points to note. If a tree branch extends over your property line, you are allowed to cut it back to that line. However, This is not really in the best interests of the tree. To have it pruned correctly, contact a tree professional. See the arb association website for help.
    Find a professional
    If you wait for the council, you will wait a long time.

Sam
    Participant

I’ve received an email off the council today stating that they are going to look at my parent’s issue. So early days, but I will give credit where it’s due to the council for at least starting the ball rolling .

justjojo2011
    Participant

@Sam 1993 wrote:

I’ve received an email off the council today stating that they are going to look at my parent’s issue. So early days, but I will give credit where it’s due to the council for at least starting the ball rolling .

It’s a start. Hope it gets sorted for you Sam. My mum’s neighbour has a tree in her back garden and the roots run for god know show long, even under the houses. Council want to do NOTHING at all about it

Sam
    Participant

Well I have admit, the situation has been addressed so far by WMBC. They’ve sent a guy out to survey what needs doing. He’s outlined what he’ll be addressing, and what he won’t via email. I can’t really complain with the service so far. A pat on the back to WMBC. I only hope the actual ‘business end’ is just as good and the works get done.

Sam
    Participant

Thank you WMBC. They’ve come and chopped down the offending branches, just the ivy to go. I’ve updated the fixmystreetlink above if you’d like to see their handiwork.

Mike
    Participant

They do have a read of this forum so hopefully it’s another example of us helping ‘get stuff done’ :)

Sam
    Participant

They returned to cut the ivy now. Many thanks to fixmystreet and a credit to this forum. Thanks both. :D

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News