Older Peoples compound to be built!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Older Peoples compound to be built!!

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Thought the heading would grab your attention!!

The Wrexham Leader has carried a story about a £9 million Older Peoples housing complex. This is to be built on Council land in Grosvenor Road. This was called an abandoned part of Wrexham – so what do the Council do but put some of the most vulnerable people in our society in a compound housing complex in an abandoned part of town. There are no shops, bus or other facilities in the area.
    If there is money available for older peoples housing why can’t they build in the communities that they live at the moment where all their friends, social groups and amenities are located.
    How has identified this is the best location.. being the cynic I am it is more likely to be on the basis of ‘How can we (the Council) make sure we can sell off land no one else wanted’. I wonder how many other non Council sites had been looked at.
    Come on Councilors would you like your relatives or yourself end their lives in a housing complex in isolation?

BenjaminM
    Participant

I refer the contributor to the response I gave a short while ago on the parallel thread.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Just read the opening post again. How does ‘complex’ change to ‘compound’ in the narrative? Are the residents likely to be kept under lock and key?
    Try as I may, I fail to see any semblance of rational comment in the narrative.

johnhoppy
    Participant

Regardless of what you call it, it doesn’t seem to be a bad idea really. Although there are no bus stops or shops in Grosvenor Road it is difficult to think of a site which is closer to the town centre, and it may breathe some life into that part of town. I may consider moving there myself in a few years, after all its not far from Weatherspoons !!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Compounds in the broadest sense do not always need a fence — individuals in particular older people set their own boundaries for their own safety. (I accept my use may well not fit with many peoples view- would however be interested to read peoples views n the actual content of the thread) In doing so they look for the kind of places they wish to visit and see how safe they would be to get there. Think of the following as basic services and how to get there if you do not have a car and live on the corner of Grosvenor Road.:
    Food shop – the closest is COOP in King Street-
    Post Office – either Rhosddu or Henblas Street
    Shopmobility – end of Bus Station
    Nearest bus stop – Fire Station or King Street
    Doctors- Chester Road, Chapel Street
    Hospital Appointments–
    Social opportunities — walk to bus stop

These are just a few of the basic types of access an older person would wish to access. Those of you that know Wrexham think of the road crossings and traffic levels to gain access to the above

Alunh
    Participant

I tend to go with the sounds like a good idea brigade; besides, shops can be factored in if this is an issue. Other things like bus stops can easily follow on.

zinger
    Participant

Buses on Grosvenor Road Alunh? Imagine all those motorised scooters up & down Grosvenor Road. Where is the correct place for them by the way? Often you see them on the road which in my opinion is dangerous. The pavements on Grosvenor Road are well used by pedestrians.

Jill
    Participant

I have five close family members over eighty. They continue to lead active lives (on their own terms), drive, and they all have internet/e-mail access. The needs of the ageing population are changing and they don’t necessarily rate their quality of life by the length of the queue at the post office.

Born Acorn
    Participant
    99DylanJones;13724 wrote:
    Compounds in the broadest sense do not always need a fence — individuals in particular older people set their own boundaries for their own safety. (I accept my use may well not fit with many peoples view- would however be interested to read peoples views n the actual content of the thread) In doing so they look for the kind of places they wish to visit and see how safe they would be to get there. Think of the following as basic services and how to get there if you do not have a car and live on the corner of Grosvenor Road.:
    Food shop – the closest is COOP in King Street-
    Post Office – either Rhosddu or Henblas Street
    Shopmobility – end of Bus Station
    Nearest bus stop – Fire Station or King Street
    Doctors- Chester Road, Chapel Street
    Hospital Appointments–
    Social opportunities — walk to bus stop

These are just a few of the basic types of access an older person would wish to access. Those of you that know Wrexham think of the road crossings and traffic levels to gain access to the above

There is already a proposal for the other side of Grosvenor road that would also have a footpath connecting it with King Street, where many of those amenities listed are found.

Also many of these places may be further away from former homes? I don’t see the issue.

KidA
    Participant

Like others, I see more positives than negatives. The location would be good and this area, which contains some lovely buildings, would benefit from any investment. I’m sure king street also would benefit due to its proximity and it may see the creation of shops other than estate agents or fast food in that particular area. I’d call this a good bit of business. Don’t forget, just because someone may live in an older persons complex, this doesn’t make them immobile and most will have family who will make use of the local facilities. You said it yourself dylan, you’re a cynic. I think you’re off the mark with this one though.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News