Old "news"

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Old "news"

• Author

IMHO
    Participant

Why does Wrexham.com have days old news on it’s front page?
    I look and see traffic incidents as “news” when they are days old, even weather for the next day that is days old.
    Old items that are only relevant for the day need to be cleared out, do they not?

Matt
    Participant

I know, how dare there be some form of archive on the front page of news from the past week. Instead Rob should flood the page with linkbait articles such as “Gresford local slams Post Office on Twitter for giving out £10 change in new £1 coins” or “13 different ways you can use the Library field – number 5 will shock you”. That’s how news is reported today right?

Matt
    Participant

Although on a more constructive note, things I’d love to see more of on Wrexham.com would be articles like more user submitted contributions. I am pretty certain that there are a number of talented writers in the local area who could cover things of local interest such as the music scene, sports (oo err) and town life in general (where’s the best place to get a decent coffee from local businesses etc…)

That and more interviews/Q&As with local people of interest. I remember that the town centre Inspector one was particularly engaging.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=131050]Although on a more constructive note, things I’d love to see more of on Wrexham.com would be articles like more user submitted contributions. I am pretty certain that there are a number of talented writers in the local area who could cover things of local interest such as the music scene, sports (oo err) and town life in general (where’s the best place to get a decent coffee from local businesses etc…)

That and more interviews/Q&As with local people of interest. I remember that the town centre Inspector one was particularly engaging.

[/quote] Wrexham.com tried a Q and A with the Leader of the Council. He did not reply.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=131051]
    Wrexham.com tried a Q and A with the Leader of the Council. He did not reply.

[/quote]

So we give up on something after 1 attempt in this life do we? I’m certain other more interesting people from around Wrexham would be more than happy to give a Q&A. People need to start thinking outside of the council and election box.

Daave63
    Participant

Ok Matt, I’m game …..

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=131055]Ok Matt, I’m game …..

[/quote]

But that would break the internet.

R T
    Keymaster

Things will get back to normalish this week, the last few days have been a little crazy due to the local elections.

Roughly speaking a we had it planned that a couple of days before the election was to be dedicated to stuff on them, so articles having a go at readers for perhaps not voting, plus the weather piece to encourage turnout, and the top banner ad changes.

On election day itself there was a ‘go vote’ bit until we flicked over to https://www.wrexham.com/election2017/homepage.php for a day which had an amazing whack load of readers and 52 days (yes days) of total video views – basically that is 3ish days of normality lost, plus sleep.

On Saturday thoroughly enjoyed sleeping until 2pm and yesterday morning was the first time to get back up to speed, with yesterday arvo spent planning General Election stuff (Thanks Ms May) – which has also pushed some planned stuff past June 8th.

The easy option would be to do as others did, and all but opt out of the election coverage aside from basic stuff, but where is the fun in that?

What is pleasing is we were able to plan, organise, develop, build custom software, help candidates use it on a 1 to 1 basis, spec out the uni, sort own routers, test broadcast afternoons, live bug fix our own and help two other sites with their setups….. and execute the 8 hr coverage stuff without such a thread appearing on how it impacted the day to day stuff :)

As for the listicle ideas, thats tomorrows stuff sorted – more seriously, Q&A’s and contributor stuff is something I am keen on though, and the election stuff we have done could not have been done without several people contributing their time, skills and kit!

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=131048]I know, how dare there be some form of archive on the front page of news from the past week. Instead Rob should flood the page with linkbait articles such as “Gresford local slams Post Office on Twitter for giving out £10 change in new £1 coins” or “13 different ways you can use the Library field – number 5 will shock you”. That’s how news is reported today right?

[/quote]

So, it’s common for daily “news” sources to create an archive on their front pages is it? Probably not.
    The place for an archive is not on the front page it is in another section, called perhaps, the “archive” section.
    When someone comes to the front page and sees an “A483 closed” article and reads it (without checking the date) as they intend going that way they are in possession of out of date news which they could act on by taking another (longer) route (damhik). it should only be there whilst it is current “news” when it isn’t it should be removed. Is this not just common sense? Anyway, Wrexham.com is a worthy site and well done to the staff that run it as it is a good resource for the Wrexham area but, like all things can be improved upon and my comment was offered up to create a discussion about a possible improvement to the service.

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

[quote quote=131055]Ok Matt, I’m game …..

[/quote]

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News