Old Groves School site

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Old Groves School site

• Author

dewi73
    Participant

Now the site has been demolished, what are the Councils plans for its future development?

Alunh
    Participant

This question reminds me about a Michael Foot speech in the Commons about Michael Heseltine……it was oh so funny

According to Foot, Heseltine reminded him of a magician who he saw in a show. The magician invites a guy to give him a new pocket watch as part of the act. He smashes it with a hammer and the crowd are amazed. Whilst they all wait for the magician to strut his stuff, the magician’s face changes from confidence to one of abject horror…………as he realises that he has never learnt what you do next…………………………

Rob
    Participant

Rumours include:
    – yale move there as would keep in the education covenant.
    – police station move
    – strip of land sold for housing
    – covenant overturned and converted to flats
    – left for x years blank

Plus no doubt a few more!

Liam
    Participant

Think the Yale rumour is an old one, deal was supposed to go ahead after the last school shifted out of there but it never happened.

Can’t seen Coleg Cambria *shudder* or whatever it’s called buying a big bit of land.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Alunh;7628 wrote:
    This question reminds me about a Michael Foot speech in the Commons about Michael Heseltine……it was oh so funny

According to Foot, Heseltine reminded him of a magician who he saw in a show. The magician invites a guy to give him a new pocket watch as part of the act. He smashes it with a hammer and the crowd are amazed. Whilst they all wait for the magician to strut his stuff, the magician’s face changes from confidence to one of abject horror…………as he realises that he has never learnt what you do next…………………………

spot on again!

I have no idea what the plan is, but i bet 100% that Council Leader Rogers is thinking “what would Thatcher do?” , “how can I privatise this piece of land?” or “how can i sell this land so they can become empty shop units?” (see his previous decisions on eagles meadow or island green.)

wxm
    Participant

Whatever is done here, which is in ‘public’ control, must be linked with all the other intentions in the County. This site, a prison, a growing road network, getting the town retail centre to thrive, growing business on the industrial estates – is all part of the same ‘public’ outcome.

Born Acorn
    Participant

Regarding overturning the covenant – at least converting them to flats would retain the buildings and give them use. As for the field there, I would imagine it will probably become houses.

I just can’t see an art gallery of that size getting the required patronage.

Metalhead
    Participant

Perhaps it would be a better location for building the proposed student accommodation than Brook St.?

zinger
    Participant

What is the purpose of Covenants if they are not upheld. If there is no educational use to be found for this site then the building & land should revert to the original owners or their descendants. The powers that be, knew of the Covenant before they started building ‘Super’ schools. They should have had their plans in place then before building such destructive ‘Super’ places for our children’s lack of education. I expect that the original owner put the Covenant in place to prevent greedy property developers & others getting their grubby little mitts on the children’s inheritance.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

The council chose to make their super schools on land that had no convenants expressing education.

It’s their mistake. Now who was making the decisions then? Oh yes Rogers. why are the council taxpayers now paying the legal advice fees for his error of judgement?

It’s extremely frustrating to see money wasted just for political purposes.

It’s even more frustrating to know that the public gave him power again.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News