October’s Second Exec Board

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum October’s Second Exec Board

• Author

DR
    Participant

Tomorrow at 2pm there will be a second Executive Board meeting (presumably because one was cancelled earlier in the summer!)

Reports covering Together in Wrexham, Reshaping Services, the proposed new housing allocation policy and others will go before the Board tomorrow.

The meeting will also be webcast from 2pm.

A full copy of the reports due to go before the Board can be found below:

Agenda for Executive Board on Tuesday, 21st October, 2014, 2.00 pm – WCBC

The Monitor
    Participant

Wonders what the report on Centre 67 has that we, the thick electorate, should not see or hear! Transparency is the only honesty.

wxm
    Participant

Again, to those who worked so tirelessly to get these meetings published on the web, they deserve enormous congratulations for sticking at it. The cost to the public of this whole machine is unnecessary and not sustainable.

An organisation with a budget of £230m would normally be run by half a dozen people. Surely this can be done, with those people reporting to the full council once a month. Why are councillors paid £1m each year, plus all the running expenses and officers needed to support the preparation for these debates.

While some individuals have clearly done excellent work, we have to be realistic that this model has not worked, and is unaffordable.

We should also see debates on each of the twelve budget lines on the webcast.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Of all the posts that you have made on this forum, your latest one surely takes the biscuit for total absurdity. It would certainly be beneficial for you (and all of us having to endure) to read what you have typed before pressing the send key.
    Four paragraphs with the most contradictory statements…… Ever!!!

wxm
    Participant

@BenjaminM 15937 wrote:

Of all the posts that you have made on this forum, your latest one surely takes the biscuit for total absurdity. It would certainly be beneficial for you (and all of us having to endure) to read what you have typed before pressing the send key.
    Four paragraphs with the most contradictory statements…… Ever!!!

Rather than absurd, iterative (revolving computational process) would perhaps be a good description. We collectively as a community need to identify the goal that we seek to achieve, the method and budget to get to that goal, and the governance process to have oversight of that delivery on behalf of the community.

99DylanJones
    Participant

If you want to look at costs did anyone notice how few Councillors were present– I think it was 10 Executive and 14 others at the start and 10 plus 10 at the end yet ALL Councillors are paid to represent us – how can the other 20 morally draw down their allowance when they don’t attend- disgraceful waste of money…
    I have no issue with Councillors being paid an allowance but instead of fixed amount it should be based on attendance only.

Rob
    Participant

Further to the point raised above, I believe it was called ‘attendance allowance’ back in the day.

Why and when that changed I do not know.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Rob you are right and memory serves me correctly many Councillors would attend put a tick and then go after a very short period. A system could easily be installed that recorded not only attendance but also a recognised minimum before an allowance could be claimed.
    The lack of attendance by the back benchers feels like they realise with the Executive system of only 10 ever voting that they now have such a diminished level responsibility it is not worth turning up.
    Fair play to Alun Jenkins who perseveres to try and get discussion going but must go away from meetings very deflated at the lack of engagement of other Members.

JRW
    Participant

@99DylanJones 15952 wrote:

Rob you are right and memory serves me correctly many Councillors would attend put a tick and then go after a very short period. A system could easily be installed that recorded not only attendance but also a recognised minimum before an allowance could be claimed.
    The lack of attendance by the back benchers feels like they realise with the Executive system of only 10 ever voting that they now have such a diminished level responsibility it is not worth turning up.
    Fair play to Alun Jenkins who perseveres to try and get discussion going but must go away from meetings very deflated at the lack of engagement of other Members.

Whilst of course it appears disappointing when looking at the attendance of “ordinary” Councillors,however as I mentioned in my post in regard to the system itself of Executive Cabinet within Councils,I’m not surprised at the non attendance when the status of the individual Councillor has been reduced to a mere onlooker.

MJN
    Participant

Is there a permenant record of attendence and voting history of councillors so come election time their performance is laid bare?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News