Not enough Carers

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Not enough Carers

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

I wonder if the Brexiteers on the thread can come up with a solution to the increasing problem of shortage of Carers now that many European Care Workers are now going back to their home country – where are we going to find the workforce to fill all the increasing demand with an ageing population- with unemployment being at its lowest for many years we do not have people clambering for the roles.

Thousands of care workers needed in Wales to meet growing demand

Matt
    Participant

Unemployment being at its lowest for years is a phony figure as it includes millions of workers on zero hours contracts who do not receive sufficient levels of employment to sustain a decent living in this country.

That said – by looking at everything through Brexit tinted glasses isn’t constructive either. As you know I’m hardly pro Brexit, but there is absolutely no reason why sufficient numbers of local individuals can’t fill the carer roles required across the board? If we’re not capable as a Welsh nation of looking after everyone who needs to be, what can we do?

It’s just a case of encouraging the right number of people at college age into doing the right qualifications & those looking to retrain or get a job after a spell of being a full time parent into these roles.

I don’t think Brexit is going to be great, but it’s high time we all grew a backbone & stopped using it as an excuse or beating stick about why every single thing is failing in Wales. Don’t give me problems, give me solutions.

WreX-iT
    Participant

We should never look abroad to fill our vacancies, we need to train the unemployed to do these jobs. This is a soft country, which is why people want to come here.

Cut benefits and make people work.

The only bum wiping being done is what the Government do with the scroungers.

Matt has the right idea “It’s just a case of encouraging the right number of people at college age into doing the right qualifications & those looking to retrain or get a job after a spell of being a full time parent into these role” so maybe put him in charge!

DerekJackson
    Participant

The wage levels need to be improved to attract young people. Even if every unemployed person moved into care sector there would not be enough people. Families need to consider how much family care they will be required to provide

AMA Express
    Participant

More than 100 care home operators collapsed in 2018 – taking the total over five years to more than 400 – and has sparked warnings that patients in homes that close down could be left with nowhere to go but hospitals.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/11/over-400-care-home-operators-collapse-in-five-years-as-cuts-take-toll

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News