North Wales Police Web Chat

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum North Wales Police Web Chat

• Author

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

@BenjaminM 15793 wrote:

The NW Police helicopter is seen multiple times daily in the skies over Wrexham. Is this indicative that crime warranting the use of the helicopter is rife in Wrexham and if so, are the crime figures as published, incorrect?
    If not, what justification is there for its’ use at great cost in these times of austerity, if it is not performing an essential operational function?

Great question. the helicopter is shared with other local forces in a reciprocal agreement which was introduced a while ago as a cost saving measure. As a result, they regularly fly over Wrexham en route to other areas as well as supporting officers attending events here.
    The aircraft is also used for locating missing persons as well as crime, casualty evacuation following road traffic collisions and also for relaying real time TV type pictures of events back to the control room for incident managers to make decisions on how to deal with events. Point taken though, it is an expensive resource and one that we use with that in mind.

Paul Wycherley.

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

Hi I am now Online ready to answer your questions.

Paul Wycherley.

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

@grandad 15786 wrote:

Question for the Inspector.
    1. My council tax demand states that I contribute £278 per annum to your force. Do you think I am getting value for my money. Is it possible to have a refund if I am not happy?

2. Do you think it was a good idea to leave an unattended police car in Prices Lane car park. I assume some of my £278 was used to replace the burnt out car.

I do think you get value for money yes. You are able to call on a service 24/7/365 who care about your issues and will assist wherever possible. It is not possible to have a refund as the monies are collected centrally then paid over to the police. If you are not happy with the policing of your area though please let me know and I will arrange a meet up either with myself personally or a member of my staff.

With regard to the car, it was left there by offficers with best intent and of course with the benefit of hindsight we should have moved it earlier. It is not being replaced though as part of a review of the numbers on our fleet.

Paul Wycherley.

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

@pete 15788 wrote:

What’s actually being done to make our roads safer?

People driving down the Wrexham by bypass early in the morning with no tail lights is a regular thing (and the drivers are completely oblivious to others flashing/beeping at them). People pulling out in front of others, and driving on the wrong side if the road is also normal it seems now.

There have been several road safety crackdowns over the years but they don’t seem to have made a difference. How do you monitor things like this to determine whether they have been effective? Do you see if the rate of complaints drops over the following months?

I use the A483 to commute to work and regularly see the kind of driving you refer to above. When I am in my own car and off duty I often wish I was in an unmarked vehicle so I could act! If you witness poor driving there is nothing at all to stop you making a complaint to the police. That complaint would be investigated as would every other and if sufficient evidence could be adduced then offenders can be prosecuted.

Speaking more widely though we regularly enforce speed limits now using hand held devices – our community officers have now been trained and allocated the machine. That resulted in over 90 motorists being recorded for speeding in one day in one area of Wrexham and that stance will continue.

I will refer your commnts to the head of traffic, Superintendent Kirman, as his staff have specific responsibility for policing the A483.
    Paul Wycherley.

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

@Liam 15791 wrote:

In relation to the much publicised arson issues in Wrexham, particularly involving cars, how many convictions have been secured in relation to these offences?

Hi Liam, I would have to check the exact stats, however I am aware of 5 prosecutions for arson during this crime recording year in Wrexham. I am not sure whether these relate to cars or whether these have resulted in convictions yet (they may still be going through the court system).

With regard to vehicle arsons though these are particularly nasty offences. Apart from the devastating effect on the owners lives, significant danger is caused to surrounding vehicles/property. If anyone has any information as to who commits these types offences, please let me know or crimestoppers, (you dont have to give your name) on 0800 555 111.

Paul Wycherley.

Rob
    Participant

There have been a few questions via our Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom anyone wanting to ‘Like’) so popping these up here to be answered:

First up…. Anne asks “Why is nothing done about people sitting around the town drinking alcohol which is most often stolen?”

Rob
    Participant

Nicola has asked: “What is the opinion of installing CCTV around the area’s of Acton / Borras etc. We’ve had so many burglaries and thefts around here this year without any resolution. There doesn’t seem to be any deterrent – for example, our 35k BMW was stolen off our drive after thieves broke into our home and it hasn’t been seen since, intelligence have closed the case without any idea who was maybe involved, then 10 days later a house 50 yards from us was burgled in broad daylight with jewellery and cash taken – something needs to be done as this area is obviously being targeted.”

Rob
    Participant

Carl Smith asks: “Wen u gonna catch the people burnin peoples cars. If I catch anyone tryin this with my car I wont b diallin 999”

Rob
    Participant

Darren makes his point which is sort of a question on priorities: “stop worrying about people speeding ever so slightly over the limits (just to make easy money for the top bosses pockets) and start dealing with the scum bags who set cars on fire and burgle peoples homes!!”

Insp Paul Wycherley
    Participant

@Adam 15792 wrote:

In February, your response to concerns about drink and drug abuse around town was as follows:

There have been arrests made recently of people using drugs around the bandstand. My stance is anyone caught using drugs faces Police action.The wider question though is more of a challenge to resolve. We regularly meet with the Council and all of the statutory and voluntary agencies that have dealings with alcohol abusers and homeless persons who frequent the town. The work is in its early days and so I am not yet sure of what the long term result will be, but be assured the issue is discussed regularly as part of our anti social behaviour reduction strategy. This is a current issue and I will update this thread as time goes on. Paul Wycherley.

With the above statement in mind, can you provide an update regarding how all agencies are working together to tackle this issue? Also, do you believe that the close proximity of several connected agencies, in relation to themselves and the town centre, is contributing to the perception that this is a problem which is escalating?

The agencies being:

– CAIS (Grove Park Road)
    – Community Drugs and Alcohol Service (Rhosddu Road)
    – Wrexham Conflict Resolution Service (Grosvenor Road)
    – Ty Croeso (Grosvenor Road)
    – TASS (Grosvenor Road)
    – St Johns Project (Chester Road)

Thanks

Hi,

Since that comment we have set up Services of Wrexham Action Group. All agencies involved in drug use/rehabilitation are represented as well as agencies that assist homeless persons. I am content now that the right people are engaged with this challenge. All have something to offer, from guidance and coaching on coming off drugs to avoidance, education and harm reduction techniques. I have not seen hard evidence that the provision of services close together leads to an increase in the problem.
    That said I am between a rock and a hard place with this one. As a service, the police’s role is to enforrce the legislation. You will be aware that I recently authorised a number of drug warrants targetting suspected dealers. This was us doing our bit to cut off a supply chain, and react to members of the publics complaints regarding street dealing. These warrants will continue, but are seen by some as a heavy handed approach from us. What do you think

Paul Wycherley.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News