Next Public Flashpoint – Black Bin Collection

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Next Public Flashpoint – Black Bin Collection

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Well, Clr Bithell (unclear which one at present) has confirmed what people who were trying to read between the lines on the consultation were fearing – that they are looking to move black bin collections to 3-4 weekly collections. Now I know other counties in Wales have already pushed it to this stage, but it’s not something that should be accepted just because it’s been imposed elsewhere.

I don’t know why but even with all the recycling via green bin, food caddy, plastics, cans, glass and cardboard – I do a lot. Our black bin still seems to get very full the weekend before my Monday collection and things have to be pushed down in it. This is with a family of 4. So any longer than 2 weeks will be a struggle for most larger families around Wrexham.

Now this is the issue that could completely break the public’s trust with the council, more-so than Plas Madoc or the Groves site. I’ve already seen how pissed off the Facebook mob are about this, at the very suggestion. Bins and rubbish collection seem to be a huge make or break situation for most people – distress caused by missed collections, uncollected rubbish, recycling issues etc…

I will be very interested to see how this issue plays out – especially with the general consensus being that the council leaders have shut out opposition, the general public, businesses or anyone from the decision making processes for anything in the town.

jimbow
    Participant

I do not understand , but to me, the recycling % is the amount that does not go to landfill.
    If you collect twice or only once per four weeks will not alter the recycling %, the same tonnage of waste will be collected and the same amount recycled.
    The Welsh Government targets are based on % recycled. We in Wrexham are hitting those targets.
    Get a life Wrexham Council and come up with something positive.

Nen
    Participant

I vaguely remember seeing some consultation about this but it just said something about them reviewing the frequency of collections – I assumed that this meant they were considering going back to weekly collections for the black bins as a lot of people (big families) seem to struggle with fortnightly. Naturally, I supported this proposal.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=141336]I vaguely remember seeing some consultation about this but it just said something about them reviewing the frequency of collections – I assumed that this meant they were considering going back to weekly collections for the black bins as a lot of people (big families) seem to struggle with fortnightly. Naturally, I supported this proposal.[/quote]

Good to hear your input Nen, I think that goes to show how there was no implied nature that services were going to reduce on black bin collections. I went and re-read the question that was in one of the tell us what you think sections on the Difficult Decisions and quite frankly you could interpret it exactly how you said – increase services because people are struggling with fortnightly collections. Unfortunately it seems to be the case that it’s no longer what people actually want or need – more what they can get away with cutting to reduce costs, but at the same time increase council tax by between 3-5%.

CarolThomas
    Participant

This is another example of the writer and the reader having different interpretations of the message — Councils are notorious for this even though they are supposed to communicate using styles of ‘Plain English’.. officialdom English and everyday English are often very different.

Another statement they made that was misleading was about school budgets being frozen — what this actually meant was there is a budget cut as schools like business etc have inflationary rises in many of their costs, salary increases in line with agreed practices etc.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News