New WiFi

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New WiFi

• Author

CerysHughes
    Participant

“I am very pleased to be able to present this report to Executive Board. It follows months of work by officers and members which included a consultation process with other North Wales authorities.

“I am confident that the proposals will give us a CCTV system that is up to date with the added bonus of being able to offer WiFi hotspots in the town centre.

“I hope members will support the proposals which will help towards our priority of ensuring that Wrexham is a place where people feel, and are, safe and secure.”

Translation: If we offer free WiFi, we can hide the fact that someone is to blame for the purchase of the original CCTV equipment. We have buildings around the town that could offer WiFi now (and do) but we still need to get CCTV Equipment that works.

If I add the premise that CCTV will keep us safe, no one will ask the question why the purchase of original CCTV was so poor.

wrexview
    Participant

The town’s CCTV was outdated and needed upgrading. The Council should be praised for retaining the management of its own CCTV system. There was pressure to have a centralised control covering a large area of North Wales.

CerysHughes
    Participant

@wrexview 19566 wrote:

The town’s CCTV was outdated and needed upgrading. The Council should be praised for retaining the management of its own CCTV system. There was pressure to have a centralised control covering a large area of North Wales.

completely agree it is outdated, but how soon after it was purchased did it become outdated?

johnhoppy
    Participant

I may be a little cynical, but will this mean that the authorities can spy on us better and also monitor communications over the wifi network too?

BenjaminM
    Participant

I think that is rather presumptious of you Cerys, to assume that readers need you to translate a statement in such a perverse manner.
    Be well advised Cerys, that I, along with the majority of readers/contributors to these forums possess the ability to form our own judgements on the veracity of statements made, without your skewed interpretations.

NJones
    Participant

@CerysHughes 19562 wrote:

“I am very pleased to be able to present this report to Executive Board. It follows months of work by officers and members which included a consultation process with other North Wales authorities.

“I am confident that the proposals will give us a CCTV system that is up to date with the added bonus of being able to offer WiFi hotspots in the town centre.

“I hope members will support the proposals which will help towards our priority of ensuring that Wrexham is a place where people feel, and are, safe and secure.”

Translation: If we offer free WiFi, we can hide the fact that someone is to blame for the purchase of the original CCTV equipment. We have buildings around the town that could offer WiFi now (and do) but we still need to get CCTV Equipment that works.

If I add the premise that CCTV will keep us safe, no one will ask the question why the purchase of original CCTV was so poor.

Spot on Cerys.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Having worked in Council offices in town I can confirm that they couldn’t get the wifi to work on both sides of the building let alone outside.

CerysHughes
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 19586 wrote:

Having worked in Council offices in town I can confirm that they couldn’t get the wifi to work on both sides of the building let alone outside.

Explains why so many Cllrs drink at Caffe Nero and not at the library! :)

How can caffe nero with no qualified staff for wifi, run such a successful system and for free?

rockyrobins
    Participant

@CerysHughes 19572 wrote:

completely agree it is outdated, but how soon after it was purchased did it become outdated?

The system has been in at least 20 years not really a surprise it needs updating as they are still using vhs tapes to record. The actually backbone of the network is optical fibre which is perfectly viable but is going over to WiFi as a cost cutting measure only as there is no way it can compete with a fibre network so maybe false economy in the long run.

KidA
    Participant

@CerysHughes 19587 wrote:

Explains why so many Cllrs drink at Caffe Nero and not at the library! :)

How can caffe nero with no qualified staff for wifi, run such a successful system and for free?

Free!! £4 for a panini-I’m sure there’s a wifi tax in there somewhere.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News