New Stickers on Black Bins – No Food or Recycling

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Stickers on Black Bins – No Food or Recycling

• Author

Matt
    Participant

I noticed after pulling in the black bin this afternoon – the council have now slapped big stickers on top of the bins that state no food or recycling in these bins. Fair enough, these are good and useful reminders. However, I am curious as to what the Council think the majority of people are doing with their food waste? As whenever I walk or drive around and it’s bin collection day hardly anyone has a grey food kerbside caddy out. In fact we are only 1 of 2 or 3 house on our street to put ours out every week – it’s full of peelings, bones, odd leftovers etc…

So if they have noticed that there is a very low % of houses actually putting out a food caddy – are they making the following assumptions and why they are not encouraging a higher number of caddies being put out each week?

1) People are composting their own food waste in the back garden
    2) Some people are such low food waste households that they have no leftovers

In the 2 cases above this is acceptable.

However, I suspect the following is still occurring and will still occur even after warnings over both as there is no enforcement:

3) People are still just lumping all the food waste into the black bins. Personal experience, I think this is a bad idea as during the hotter weather and 2 week collections – you can end up with maggots, flies and attracting other pests to your bin.

4) People still think it’s okay to put kitchen food waste into the green bin – it was previously acceptable – but then it was changed, but I don’t think that big an awareness campaign was made about it.

I think it’s okay to put nudge stickers on things to remind people, but unless they start looking at root causes for certain issues and practical solutions then they won’t meet the waste targets they are trying to achieve.

Matt
    Participant

There’s now a 30+ comment thread on my local facebook group as people are expressing dismay in terms of not knowing where to put their food waste after seeing these stickers today. Some people have even called the council angrily for advice.

Other people joking about how they use their grey food caddy for alternative uses – such as a handy bucket for washing the car.

Also seems people putting excess recycling into the black bin when their recycling box/trolley gets full. Unaware that you can provide additional sorted cardboard/plastic or glass bottles in other containers roadside and it will still be collected regardless of what it is contained in.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

Are the bins not personal property? I know we had to buy ours when we moved house.

What right have they got to go sticking stickers on people’s property? It’s left a big mark on ours when I took it off. Can I claim for a new bin? Imagine if they went round sticking them on people’s cars.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

I wouldn’t have the caddy with rotting food in it for up to 2 weeks in the house, I assume others are similar. Not very hygienic and it would smell. No, rather put it in a plastic bag all tied up and in the black bin.

Matt
    Participant

The larger grey caddies are meant to be stored outside with all food waste kept in the biodegradable green bags. They are collected weekly rather than fortnightly. As long as all your food waste is kept sealed within each bag and the grey bin is kept closed – usually things aren’t too bad even in midsummer. I find that my black bin ends up stinking more during a fortnight and even if food is plastic bagged – things like mice will try to get at it – especially if your bin is overfull and the lid isn’t going down properly.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Well thanks for all that much needed advice regarding how to use a bin, I realise now were I had been going wrong all these years. Just hope now someone posts a thread on how to sit the right way on a toilet!

Matt
    Participant

98 Comments of confusion on where to put food waste on the Penycae Magical Mystery Tour group now – including one of the community councillors now weighing in with advice on where to get grey caddies from – states that not everyone is as wise as you oh Maureen.

It’s only Monday collection day – wait until the rest of Wrexham’s reprobates get a sticker on their bun.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Well, I for one will take absolutely zero notice of the instructions of WCBC as to how I dispose of food waste.
    With a 5.5% rise in Council Tax, I will not go to the additional expense of buying biodegradable bags to satisfy a meaningless whim. If WCBC provide me with the bags, I may reconsider.

AMA Express
    Participant

We’ve recently had a bundle of green bio-degradeable food bags left by the WCBC lads.

zinger
    Participant

Tie a green bag to the handle of the grey bin & the bin man will leave a fresh roll of bags.
    Better for food waste to be collected weekly rather than fortnightly in black of green bins.

I would think that people in Johnstown with a landfill site on their doorsteps would see things differently to some.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News