New Speed Limits – No notice?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Speed Limits – No notice?

• Author

cmaj76
    Participant

Some of the speed limits are just ridiculous, there is no need for 50mph from Coedpoeth to Wrexham and no need for 30 /50 mph from Minera to Bwlchgwyn.

I would like to know what has prompted WMBC to mess about with these limits?

NJones
    Participant

Reduction in council funding?

Chris
    Participant

Possibly to take the heat off all their other traffic management cock ups

Rondetto
    Participant

I don’t know what they’re doing on the dual carriageway at Pontblyddyn but it was Bedlam this morning. One lane going both ways. Funny thing is you see hundreds of cones but no one actually working.

lazyjack
    Participant

@Iceman 9320 wrote:

Have you tried driving from Wrexham to Llay? It changes from 50, 40, 30, etc., and back again all over the place. Totally ridiculous

Said this a while back, whoever planned/approved the speed limit changes on that road needs their head testing.

Easiest (and most sensible) thing would have been to replace the old 60 (national) speed limit with a 40, from the cemetery in Llay all the way to just past the Pandy turning.

Someone also pointed out that the 50 limit between Pandy and Lindops may not be legal as it’s too short, not sure if that is correct though.

lazyjack
    Participant

Perhaps WCBC highways need to have a read of this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/2733/setting-local-speed-limits.pdf

In particular, page 26, section 7 which mentions ‘It is recommended that the minimum length of a village speed limit should be 600 metres. However, traffic authorities may lower this to 400 metres, and in exceptional circumstances to 300 metres’.

Looking on Google maps, I don’t think the 50 limit is even 300 metres.

Speediecars
    Participant

I cant myself understand the need to change all the speed limits nearly everywhere when all it does is make drivers go faster once past the new limits after being held up.

I can understand the need to reduce the deaths and accidents on the roads and I am all for that, but reducing the limits is just plain stupid as everywhere you go now you seem to be breaking the law its just made average drivers cash cows. The council will come up with statistics to justify this stupidity, but the majority of people are law abiding drivers its the few mindless idiots who go 50 or 60 in a 30 who spoil things for everyone.

It seems all the council and governmant want to do is wrap everyone in cotton wool and yes before anyone says anything I have had a relative die on the roads and its bloody awful, but education is the answer not goverment nannys. Wouldnt it be much better to make every driver have a compulsory course every 5 years paid for by drivers and it would make the roads safer. Education is the answer to everything!

And as for the lights on Bradley Road, well what a mess, hold ups every junction all the time everyday but of course this is all in the name of safety even when you see all the bumps happen there!

zinger
    Participant

It is all going back to Tony Blair saying that he would get people out of their cars. Speed bumps & chicanes were all part of the plan, longer delays on traffic lights & now more speed restrictions. Just hope that you are never in an emergency ambulance or need a fire engine. Are they not too covered by speed limits?

Daily Mail Feruary 2010
    “Ambulance drivers face the sack if they ignore a ‘ludicrous’ diktat that they must not drive too fast to emergencies.
    NHS bureaucrats have decided that paramedics who go as little as 10mph above the speed limit should face formal disciplinary action.
    Repeat ‘offenders’ could be dismissed under rules drawn up by half of the 12 ambulance trusts in England, covering around 25million people”.

steveg
    Participant

johnhoppy
    Participant

Who decides to alter the speed limits? Is it a faceless bureaucrat determined to slow us all down at all costs. Today’s cars are are more more reliable and safer than they have ever been, and yet almost every dual carriageway in the area has been reduced to a limit of 50mph. This has the effect if creating queues of cars moving at a funeral pace which can not be good for road safety. Has there been as assessment, or consultation on of traffic flows and accidents on these roads where the speed limit has changed? The new limits will have no effect whatsoever on those who break the limits to an extent that they cause accidents, but will no doubt be a money spinner in penalising those of us who slightly exceed the limits.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News