New Police Divisional HQ – In Llay

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Police Divisional HQ – In Llay

• Author

johnhoppy
    Participant

I see from today’s article on Wrexham.com that the police are at an advanced stage of moving their HQ in this area to the Llay Industrial Estate. It seems to me and no doubt many others who pay council tax that the police have a different inflation rate to the rest of us as the increase in police precept is more often than not quite a bit more than the increase in other areas.

The existing building in Wrexham is barely forty years old, and it astonishes me that it can no longer be fit for its purpose, and if buildings are produced with such a lifespan it is no wonder that police demands on our hard earned money increases in amount so much greater than inflation every year.

Another point to be born in mind is that the existing building is adjacent to the Law Courts. Will these also have to be moved, or be closed to be centralised in Mold?

Rob
    Participant

@johnhoppy 9405 wrote:

Another point to be born in mind is that the existing building is adjacent to the Law Courts. Will these also have to be moved, or be closed to be centralised in Mold?

It seems that Mold is where things will end up, nothing official on this though yet.

wrexview
    Participant

Many public services are merging on the grounds of cost saving. How long before Wrexham County Council merges with Flintshire and Denbighshire and the wheel turns full circle and Clwyd County Council is reformed.Perhaps more likely this time around the area covered could be much larger , possibly leaving just two County Councils to serve North Wales! We should all be concerned about anything that moves jobs away from Wrexham. Wrexham is still the largest town in North Wales!

johnhoppy
    Participant

If Clwyd CC was reformed there would obviously be a cost saving (I thought Clwyd CC was quite satisfactory before it was abolished), but presumably the old District Councils would also be reformed, so the cost saving would not be as great as envisaged. I think there would have to be some sort of local government between the County and Community Councils if the County was to cover such a large area.

Rondetto
    Participant

I must admit at being very surprised that a building just some 40 years old is outdated. Surely it would be much cheaper to add on rather than to move.
    What next, Waterworld?

NJones
    Participant

The line in the press release states that the Police are working to relocate the peregrine falcons nesting on the roof to St. Giles. Does this mean demolition is the preferred option?

wrexview
    Participant

Sounds like demolition is the preferred option. Wonder what plans there are in the pipe line for its redevelopment ?

DR
    Participant

I popped down to the police station shortly before the bubble match and had the chance to have a tour around the building. Most of the top floors aren’t used anymore, and was quite odd to see the state that the upper floors are actually in. Roof tiles have fallen off, there was dust and insects everywhere and generally weren’t a great condition due to the fact that they could no longer be used to work in.

It was also mentioned that when it’s windy, the top part of the building moves. Think it was mentioned that it was built to manage / for the wind, however it doesn’t make it any easier when things are moving across the desks apparently!

However, it is an amazing view from the top few floors!

With the Groves building having recently been demolished, would change the landscape drastically if the police building was knocked down as well. Would be strange to sort of look through like that, especially having grown up in wrexham and knowing it as a somewhat ‘iconic’ landmark.

zinger
    Participant

What was in the mindset of the planning dept when plans for the Police station in its present form, was passed? The planners haven’t improved over the years. I would have thought a police station would be the one building that should be functional rather than attractive, not that it ever was.

weasel
    Participant

I am at a loss, as to why the police all need to be in such a huge building at one time…Really most of them should be out and about doing “police stuff”, not sitting around…I think a fairly large office would be needed for paperwork, and a canteen…and that should be perfectly adequate.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News