New ideas sought to help promote the Welsh language

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New ideas sought to help promote the Welsh language

• Author

IMHO
    Participant

“As part of the appeal for new ideas, organisations are being offered grants of up to £20,000, which would help put make the ideas suggested into action.”

Well, it’s fortunate that all is well in Wales and there are no cuts to essential services, the health service is functioning well, transport is tickety boo which means that there is loadsa dosh to try and save a dying next to useless language. Gimme strength FFS. Joined up thinking it aint.

zinger
    Participant

I cannot understand why street & village names are in both Welsh & English. Surely the English could be dropped & just the Welsh used. We cope quite happily with Caergwrle, Rhosllannerchrugog, Gwersyllt, Coedpoeth etc. Why do they need to be translated? I can understand to a certain extent roadwork signage ie ‘traffic lights’ being bilingual although they should be in different colours to attract you to the language of choice.

Sheefag
    Participant

[quote quote=136646]I cannot understand why street & village names are in both Welsh & English. Surely the English could be dropped & just the Welsh used.[/quote]

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=136651]

I cannot understand why street & village names are in both Welsh & English. Surely the English could be dropped & just the Welsh used.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

[/quote]
    I am English born so I have no hangups. Love Gods country.

maxman
    Participant

The zealots need to stop trying to shove the Welsh language down people’s throats .The time and money spent on having forms in both English and Welsh to appease a few nationalists is a scandle.In this day and age,if someone wants a form in the Welsh language they should be able to contact the relevant body and ask for a Welsh version.This would serve two purposes,show how many people really want a Welsh version ,less weight for the postie to carry.

Alunh
    Participant

The best way to promote the use of the Welsh language in Wales (where a huge preponderance of people living here cannot speak the language) is to avoid alienating the majority language users.

Whilst Welsh is the historic language of Wales, the current position is radically different. If, for example, job seeking English language speakers start to clock that, where public sector jobs are concerned, there is a caste system developing, there will be a reaction.

Accordingly, I would concentrate on promoting Welsh in the Arts, developing Welsh language schools where there is demand, try to get a healthy Welsh press and Welsh social media scenario going, and so on. I would avoid, however, using the approach that many are now talking about of getting “muscular” with the language

Matt
    Participant

Who knew we had so many Dic Siôn Dafydd’s living in town.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor