New Housing Development for Llay

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Housing Development for Llay

• Author

RDx
    Participant

[quote quote=133514]Why is it bad news? I don’t understand. Surely, this is good for the local economy and in line with the local development plan to increase the amount of housing in the area? We need more good quality housing to support the growing population and, with it, should come improved infrastructure, schools, medical facilities, etc. Plus more money being spent in the local economy – Wrexham town centre for example. Plus I think the increased traffic is always overstated as an excuse anyway.

[/quote]

Why is it bad news? Because they’re substantially increasing pressures on a school and healthcentre that are already feeling tremendous strain. It already takes about a month to book an appointment with these GP’s, obviously that time-frame is going to increase.

RDx
    Participant

There seems to be a grand plan to increase the population as part of a magic-bullet solution to revitalise the town. Which seems fanciful.

I’m not sure if people realize, but the location where the houses are proposed also has superb access to Chester. Ask yourself, would these people prefer to shop in Chester, a vibrant picturesque city with a rich history. Or Wrexham, a decaying market town full of drunks and drug addicts? It’s not a difficult choice.

I suppose good public transport could encourage these new people into the town, but anyone who’s familiar with the local ARRIVA bus service knows that this is unlikely.

99DylanJones
    Participant

As this has now been given the green light one of the things residents should now be seeking to find out from the Council is what the developer will be contributing under Section 106/Community Benefit contribution to community facilities, schools, play space etc. Look at the fine print of when this would be paid — stage payment or on completion. Thus is something you need to get you local Councillor to provide to local residents.
    In past experience Wrexham Council is very poor at maximising the Section 106 and pursuing developers for things such as play space and equipment.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=133548]There seems to be a grand plan to increase the population as part of a magic-bullet solution to revitalise the town. Which seems fanciful.

I’m not sure if people realize, but the location where the houses are proposed also has superb access to Chester. Ask yourself, would these people prefer to shop in Chester, a vibrant picturesque city with a rich history. Or Wrexham, a decaying market town full of drunks and drug addicts? It’s not a difficult choice.

I suppose good public transport could encourage these new people into the town, but anyone who’s familiar with the local ARRIVA bus service knows that this is unlikely.

[/quote]

More people will mean better healthcare facilities and probably a bigger, better school. As for transport, this may be a catalyst for the much vaunted North Wales Metro underground system.

Captainkavos
    Participant

Maybe if the music festival that sort permission on the land got the go ahead,but met with local objections then this development application may never have happened !
    I know what I would have preferred !!!

Andy
    Participant

How would a music festival deter a housing application?

Born Acorn
    Participant

The application was made by the landowner, not a development firm, some time after his/her plans for a music festival on the same land was defeated by… the same people who fought this.

Music festival would have given the land some value for the landowner, since that was not forthcoming, houses seem like the “last laugh”.

AdventureDeKannan
    Participant

I have no idea where RDx lives but I have lived in Llay for most of my life and have always got an appointment the same day as I have asked for one! So to say it already takes a month is simply not true. Also the bus service is probably one of the best in the County Borough, again I have no complaints.

I am getting a bit fed up of hearing all the bleating from people that ‘the people of Llay’ are devastated and disgusted and whatever else ‘we’ are meant to be. I am NONE of these things. I welcome the development and see it as an opportunity for money to come into the area, jobs and much needed housing (almost a third of which will be ‘affordable housing’)

So please STOP assuming that no one is happy about this as many people are – its only the complainers who are making their voices heard, the rest are simply getting on with their lives!

Andy
    Participant

A once a year music festival would give the land some value? I question some people’s sanity.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=133575]A once a year music festival would give the land some value? I question some people’s sanity.

[/quote]
    Michael Eavis says hi

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News