New Car Parking Charges

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Car Parking Charges

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Workers on the minimum wage in Wrexham are having to pay an extra £5 per week to park. Parking charges don’t just affect shoppers!

Andy
    Participant

Solution- Park for free on the outskirts of Wrexham and walk.

zinger
    Participant

Living on the outskirts of town on small part time wage, after working out how long I had to work to pay for the bus fare into town I was too mean to use my wages for that purpose so I walked in everyday. As years went by & time was more of the essence, I used to park up by the old Asda on Eagles Meadow for 30p for the day. Happy days. I didn’t count the cost of petrol however. Seeing children off to school & starting work in town at the same time meant that you had to get everything down to a fine art.

wrexview
    Participant

Wonder if Councillors will vote to keep free parking in the town centre for themselves this afternoon?

jimbow
    Participant

@wrexview 11579 wrote:

Wonder if Councillors will vote to keep free parking in the town centre for themselves this afternoon?

If they vote to pay for their parking,they will probably recover those costs from expenses.Its a no win situation for anybody

wrexview
    Participant

Most days many spaces in that car park are empty and could be used and paid for by members of the public. There is 63 spaces on two levels in car park , releasing just 30 spaces could increase the council’s income by some not inconsiderable £100,000 per year!

Wrexham PC Repairs
    Participant

@wrexview 11581 wrote:

Most days many spaces in that car park are empty and could be used and paid for by members of the public. There is 63 spaces on two levels in car park , releasing just 30 spaces could increase the council’s income by some not inconsiderable £100,000 per year!

That’s why WCBC’s decision to increase charges is even more baffling. Surely they should be lowering the cost to park your car so more people would use the spaces and increase the income?

Chris
    Participant

@Wrexham PC Repairs 11584 wrote:

That’s why WCBC’s decision to increase charges is even more baffling. Surely they should be lowering the cost to park your car so more people would use the spaces and increase the income?

See that’s where your going wrong. Your being all business like and logical.

jimbow
    Participant

@Wrexham PC Repairs 11584 wrote:

This is the reply I received from the Leader of the Council in reply to a query on parking charges:- QUOTE:- The general rise in parking tariffs,the first for a significant period of time in Wrexham,is primarily in response to the fact that parking usage levels across the car parks have exceeded the target operational occupancy levels of 85%.Pricing mechanisms ensure we manage car parking stock effectively ensuring safe operation of the parking facilities,allow good turn-over of spaces whilst also ensuring availability of parking provision so as not to deter any potential user or visitor. UNQUOTE)
    I presume from this that if the occupancy level falls, then the council will reduce the charges,who knows.

wrexview
    Participant

From graphs in the minutes the 85% occupancy is at peak times ( peak times are not defined) . However the car park I am referring to is the one referred to as the Guildhall Car Park which is for private use ( Councillors and Officers ) Monday to Friday and used by the public only on Saturday and Sunday. Opening up only half of this car park to the public seven days a week would produce extra income in the region of £100,000 per year. The machines are already installed so no extra expenditure.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News