New Arts Hub

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Arts Hub

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

I think that what bothers me the most Sheefag is to know that an element of the Rates that a shop like mine pays in goes out on many of these “glory shot” projects because, for some reason, there seems to be an inclination to not just encourage the Arts but to fund them as well. I am all for the encouragement of, and the space provision for…..but they should learn to fund themselves.

Thus, whilst Katia looks at the importance of the Arts where unemployment if high, I see the very same thing, if grant driven, as one of the contributing causes of the same. A business like mine is looking to expand and looking to add staff to the roster……but I pay out the equivalent of 1000 hours of labour wages per annum for someone in Rates. You only have to work that one out

Sheefag
    Participant

I absolutely agree. The Arts should be self funding or cease, just like any other business.

In the year 2013/14, the Royal Opera House received £25,787,567 from the Arts Council ie; you and I.

Despite being a Conservative voter at the last election, I have to ask, why are we wasting money such huge sums of money like this in a country where sections of society rely on food banks?

If sports such as Football and Motor Racing can raise huge sums of private capital and be self-funding, why are The Arts such a sacred cow?

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=113511]I absolutely agree. The Arts should be self funding or cease, just like any other business.

In the year 2013/14, the Royal Opera House received £25,787,567 from the Arts Council ie; you and I.

Despite being a Conservative voter at the last election, I have to ask, why are we wasting money such huge sums of money like this in a country where sections of society rely on food banks?

If sports such as Football and Motor Racing can raise huge sums of private capital and be self-funding, why are The Arts such a sacred cow?

[/quote]

Come on pal, arts, museums, etc will never be self-funding – there’s just not the demand for it (like there is for formula 1 or football). It has to be funded by the public purse for the “greater good”

Liz Jackson
    Participant

Nen you are perfectly correct there are virtually no Arts establishment that earn enough income to run without a subsidy.
    However when it comes to a Local Authority provision and the choice of expenditure is Education or Social Care vs Arts- I’m sure most people would want Education and Social Care for ‘everyone’ rather than a small minority.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News