Nationwide to Eagles Meadow

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Nationwide to Eagles Meadow

• Author

Iceman
    Participant

@BenjaminM 9892 wrote:

Something like this brings out the negative comments from a select few – never anything positive about anything!
    Funny though that the same wasn’t said when M&S and Boots moved.
    Perhaps Wrexham ought to be encased in a time bubble where nothing changes, ever!
    Would that bring contentment? Or would it bring forth more complaining about Wrexham not moving forward.
    And Taffy, what a common sense comment.! But that’s not relevant if people just want to complain, is it?

I think you will find that many of us did say the same about boots and m&s and the odeon. You make it sound like we are all luddites if we disagree with eagles meadow. It should not have been built while the town centre needs so much doing to it. It is the wrong development in the wrong part of town.

BenjaminM
    Participant

And what are they doing to achieve parity? Are they providing the goods and services required by society today? Are they competitive? Are they providing a welcoming environment?
    I assume the comparison inferred is between Eagles Meadow and the rest of the town, and the answer to that must surely be a qualified ‘no’.
    One possible method of trying to achieve parity is to apply their minds to the three questions raised above, and if found wanting, take appropriate remedial action to the extent they are able to.
    Another way, no, I can’t think of another way except persuading those they desire parity with, to lower their standards………and stagnate.

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 9933 wrote:

And what are they doing to achieve parity? Are they providing the goods and services required by society today? Are they competitive? Are they providing a welcoming environment?
    I assume the comparison inferred is between Eagles Meadow and the rest of the town, and the answer to that must surely be a qualified ‘no’.
    One possible method of trying to achieve parity is to apply their minds to the three questions raised above, and if found wanting, take appropriate remedial action to the extent they are able to.
    Another way, no, I can’t think of another way except persuading those they desire parity with, to lower their standards………and stagnate.

Quite an odd line of defence Benjamin. This has nothing to do with what Independent shops do or do not do but the way in which those vested with developing the town have or have not achieved a benefit for the wider community.

Going back to topic…..Nationwide can locate where it makes business sense. I have, and like all businesses, try to do what you harp on about.

Why people are writing in about this move is the concern that they feel about another business moving into a multiple monopolised development on the edge of the older town. Surely you must be bright enough to appreciate that the independent sector has to face an uphill battle to trade profitably when the consumers that they are trying to attract are pulled away from where they themselves are based. I appreciate that you repeatedly think it adequate to throw out this simplified idea that business success is based upon the P formula of Product, Place and Price and that such things are the silver bullet for success. They are if the playing field is not tilted against the small scale Entrepreneur.

Alunh
    Participant

Just on the subject Benjamin……what is ‘parity’?

Independent shops don’t seek parity with multiples. They seek to offer a service at local level to broadly local people of a personal kind. My shop doesn’t, for example, sell to the mass (multiple) market, but sells to the niches that exists beyond it.

When planning decisions are made, however, it would be nice to think that the local businesses were taken as much into account as their larger competitors. Is that the ‘parity’ you were talking about?

BenjaminM
    Participant

The post you quote Alun was not a defence, merely a response to the post made by Wxm a short while ago.
    You will also note that I did not say that the three ‘P’s as you call them are the panacea for all for all the problems faced by independent traders, but they will go some way to addressing them.
    I do object however that you once again question my intelligence in your post, despite the assurance made on another thread that that was not a trait of yours. But fair play, you did apologise on that occasion. Putting my view forward is not ‘harping on’ as you put it, it is merely that I hold different views and maybe different values that I too have a right to express.
    I note that your relocation(s) were based on ‘business sense’ but you make no mention of whether the elderly or infirm were factored into your decision as you thought other traders should do, and was the subject of a direct question posed by me.
    Persuasive as you may be to others, I still retain the ability to think for myself and draw my own conclusions from information presented to me or researched by me.
    I think that we have reached an impasse and see very little, if any, point in continuing what has become a very interesting dialogue. I think we must agree to differ!

zinger
    Participant

For Eagles Meadow & the like, read supermarkets. Some people just like to do their shopping all in one place but it’s no use complaining when the shops are closing on the High Streets. What happened to the shops on the Dunhelm Mill site. What a white elephant that turned out to be.

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 9938 wrote:

The post you quote Alun was not a defence, merely a response to the post made by Wxm a short while ago.
    You will also note that I did not say that the three ‘P’s as you call them are the panacea for all for all the problems faced by independent traders, but they will go some way to addressing them.
    I do object however that you once again question my intelligence in your post, despite the assurance made on another thread that that was not a trait of yours. But fair play, you did apologise on that occasion. Putting my view forward is not ‘harping on’ as you put it, it is merely that I hold different views and maybe different values that I too have a right to express.
    I note that your relocation(s) were based on ‘business sense’ but you make no mention of whether the elderly or infirm were factored into your decision as you thought other traders should do, and was the subject of a direct question posed by me.
    Persuasive as you may be to others, I still retain the ability to think for myself and draw my own conclusions from information presented to me or researched by me.
    I think that we have reached an impasse and see very little, if any, point in continuing what has become a very interesting dialogue. I think we must agree to differ!

Agreed. Reading through my own post, the comment about intelligence wasn’t meant as you have interpreted it. Syntax as you know rules.

On the other matter, have a look at Clone town theory and the development of town centres. It might interest you

Alunh
    Participant

On the issue of disability, and older customers, you will appreciate that any business will evaluate how best to maximise on a customer base and I try to factor in every consideration that I can.

To repeat, however, a business is not a Council. I fully expect Nationwide to pursue a policy that best serves the shareholders of that business. They are a business. I expect a Council to best serve their shareholders, the community.

Each has different agendas and that is as it should be

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News