Moving "services" out of the town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Moving "services" out of the town centre

• Author

bubble
    Participant

This problem is never going to be fixed; there just isn’t the will to fix it, only to offer sympathy (to the addicts rather than those adversely affected by them) and make excuses (complex issues, takes time,etc). I think the police introduced the PSPO as propaganda. The PSPO is supposed to make the public feel that the issue is being taken seriously. The public are not supposed to notice that the PSPO is not being enforced.
    These services won’t move elsewhere – I expect when their night shelter buildings were first approved it was on the basis of claiming to alleviate the drug problem in Wrexham. No other area of Wrexham will now believe these services do that and be willing to accept them. These services offer addicts a bed for the night and then turf them out into the surrounding neighbourhood during the day – therefore wherever the services are sited, the addicts will loiter, and it is the people living near to those services that will suffer as a result. After seeing what’s happened to Rhosddu, no one’s going to want these services co-located in their neighbourhoods.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=137717]This problem is never going to be fixed; there just isn’t the will to fix it, only to offer sympathy (to the addicts rather than those adversely affected by them) and make excuses (complex issues, takes time,etc). I think the police introduced the PSPO as propaganda. The PSPO is supposed to make the public feel that the issue is being taken seriously. The public are not supposed to notice that the PSPO is not being enforced.
    These services won’t move elsewhere – I expect when their night shelter buildings were first approved it was on the basis of claiming to alleviate the drug problem in Wrexham. No other area of Wrexham will now believe these services do that and be willing to accept them. These services offer addicts a bed for the night and then turf them out into the surrounding neighbourhood during the day – therefore wherever the services are sited, the addicts will loiter, and it is the people living near to those services that will suffer as a result. After seeing what’s happened to Rhosddu, no one’s going to want these services co-located in their neighbourhoods.

[/quote]
    But that’s why you move them to a non residential (and non retail) area, hence my original suggestion of co-location with the prison, for example. Or you do what Chester do and offer them free bus tickets to neighbouring towns and cities.

Rondetto
    Participant

Yes, I stick with the original suggestion. To take them away from the retail area of the town before we lose
    even the stalwart shoppers to other towns that don’t appear to have the volume of homeless that we have.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=137722]Yes, I stick with the original suggestion. To take them away from the retail area of the town before we lose
    even the stalwart shoppers to other towns that don’t appear to have the volume of homeless that we have.

[/quote]
    I suspect that Wrexham Council have put this in the “too difficult box” along with the Euro 2016 fanzone and anything else which may interfere with their flexi time plans.

Ferret
    Participant

You seem to be fixated on your prison suggestion. What have you got against the residents of Pentre Maelor?

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=137724]You seem to be fixated on your prison suggestion. What have you got against the residents of Pentre Maelor?

[/quote] I do feel for the residents at Pentre Maelor & would not wish these people on my worst enemies. But against the wishes of local people including myself the prison was built.
    High fencing already in place at the prison could be extended to encompass an extra centre with services on site for both. Landscaping to disguise the purpose of the fencing. Well documented visitors only allowed. Beyond the fencing could be a area grassy area for an exercise area.
    Only by keeping them away from temptation and giving them a useful occupation are most going to be rehabilitated into the community. Of course it would be against their human rights to teach them to grow & cook their own food & clean up after themselves.

Ferret
    Participant

Yeah. You could put up perspex screens and charge people to go and look at them. You could have educational trips. “Look kids this is what happens when you do drugs. Now 10 minutes in the gift shop (sweets made to look like spice just £1 a packet) then back on the bus”.

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=137732]Yeah. You could put up perspex screens and charge people to go and look at them. You could have educational trips. “Look kids this is what happens when you do drugs. Now 10 minutes in the gift shop (sweets made to look like spice just £1 a packet) then back on the bus”.

[/quote]
    Do you have a useful suggestion Ferret?

Rondetto
    Participant

Not a completely bad idea that. Being that they are loud enough shouting and screaming around the town I imagine
    they would welcome the interest i them.
    Still, the point is to try and move them from the retail centre of the town to make it a pleasant shopping centre.
    God help Wrexham if they EVER attempt to get city status again………now that would be a laugh.

Ferret
    Participant

Do you have a useful suggestion Ferret?

[/quote]

I don’t want to be the odd one out.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News