Moving "services" out of the town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Moving "services" out of the town centre

• Author

Nen
    Participant

I have read a few things recently that suggest that the homeless / drug / etc problems are no worse in Wrexham than in other towns and cities it’s just that it’s more “visible” in Wrexham as the services that these people need to use are focused in the town centre so these people hang around the town centre close to these services (whatever they are, I’m not sure). For example, Chester apparently has just as big a problem, if not bigger, but it’s not visible in the shopping areas as their services are located out of town.

Well then, isn’t this a blindingly obvious solution to Wrexham’s problems? Move the services somewhere out of town (co located with the new prison maybe – just one idea, please don’t get fixated on it) thereby maintaining these vital services but also preventing the problem from affecting retail / tourism / day-to-day life etc in the town centre. Consumers,and therefore businesses, are currently being deterred from Wrexham town centre due to the visible problems, which is holding back any chance of real growth for the town.

I know that this is easier said than done but it’s certainly not impossible with a little joined up thinking. And, to be honest, property in the town centre must be more valuable than out of town so there may actually be money to be made overall from such a move.

Rondetto
    Participant

Excellent suggestion. Better than just closing a blind eye to it anyway.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=137438]Excellent suggestion. Better than just closing a blind eye to it anyway.

[/quote]
    Thanks. Sometimes the obvious solutions are the best.

Whilst it won’t necessarily solve the homeless / drug problem (although having the various services co-located might actually help) it does avoid it from causing the secondary avoidable problems of visibility of it harming the town centre.

As I said, there may be an economic side benefit of freeing up valuable town centre property, and using government owned land (e.g. around the prison) instead.

JP
    Participant

Most of Wrexham Town centre is empty.

Why dump the problem on the Industrial Estate?, the people based there have enough to deal with as it is; and have to pay to deal with it themselves.
    The last time the Police managed a regular presence on the estate, the local businesses received a “begging letter” from NWP asking for donations from business to cover the cost of patrols. After paying how much in business rates?

Maybe the Groves could be donated to the WAG (like the prison site was), WCBC could then build a fence around it (like they did at the prison site), WAG will probably take all of ten seconds to find a way around the “education only covenant” on the site.

If it is necessary to give these people food, shelter, and keep them occupied during daylight hours, whilst supporting them in rehabilitating their lifestyle; maybe we should consider re-opening the old red brick building at the end of the hospital, the one that was next to Cobden Mill.
    That used to be a “one-stop shop” for the neady.

Rondetto
    Participant

There is no point in closing your eyes to this problem and hoping it goes away. It doesn’t vie good for any
    prospective retailers moving into the town centre when they witness what we all witness on a daily basis.
    The poster only suggested a site, maybe other suggestions should be considered too. Whatever, or wherever
    the problem has to be solved and taken from the centre of the town.

Stoneagle
    Participant

Maybe we need “fix rooms” like they have in Glasgow, and other European cities – the powers that be could be working on this as a solution for all I know.
    Siting it near the hospital seems an obvious solution. They usually end up there, judging by the ambulances I see by the Groves.

Hindsight has proved The Groves to be paradise for drug pushers and users, the school being near the main route into Wrexham town centre, shielded by big mature trees and with a wall to cling on to when you can’t stand up. Perfect! And for those without cars – a handy bus station nearby.
    Genuinely homeless people caught up in this environment are at terrible risk of becoming users themselves. This is on top of whatever other problems life has thrown at them.

I TRULY hope that the Council are working with and listening to experienced organisations who already know what does and doesn’t work in finding solutions to this horrendous problem. I don’t envy their job.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=137454]Most of Wrexham Town centre is empty.

Why dump the problem on the Industrial Estate?, the people based there have enough to deal with as it is; and have to pay to deal with it themselves.
    The last time the Police managed a regular presence on the estate, the local businesses received a “begging letter” from NWP asking for donations from business to cover the cost of patrols. After paying how much in business rates?

Maybe the Groves could be donated to the WAG (like the prison site was), WCBC could then build a fence around it (like they did at the prison site), WAG will probably take all of ten seconds to find a way around the “education only covenant” on the site.

If it is necessary to give these people food, shelter, and keep them occupied during daylight hours, whilst supporting them in rehabilitating their lifestyle; maybe we should consider re-opening the old red brick building at the end of the hospital, the one that was next to Cobden Mill.
    That used to be a “one-stop shop” for the neady.

[/quote]

Agh, you’ve fallen into the trap of getting fixated on then “prison” suggestion (I even counselled against that in my post). That was just an example – could be anywhere out of town.

Your Groves suggestion is awful – that’s still the town centre so doesn’t alleviate the problems.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=137464]Maybe we need “fix rooms” like they have in Glasgow, and other European cities – the powers that be could be working on this as a solution for all I know.
    Siting it near the hospital seems an obvious solution. They usually end up there, judging by the ambulances I see by the Groves.

Hindsight has proved The Groves to be paradise for drug pushers and users, the school being near the main route into Wrexham town centre, shielded by big mature trees and with a wall to cling on to when you can’t stand up. Perfect! And for those without cars – a handy bus station nearby.
    Genuinely homeless people caught up in this environment are at terrible risk of becoming users themselves. This is on top of whatever other problems life has thrown at them.

I TRULY hope that the Council are working with and listening to experienced organisations who already know what does and doesn’t work in finding solutions to this horrendous problem. I don’t envy their job.

[/quote]
    Yes, the hospital area is another good example, although a bit closer to town. Anywhere as long as it’s not in the retail centre and as long as it’s cheap. Maybe somewhere along Ruthin Road?

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=137469]
    Yes, the hospital area is another good example, although a bit closer to town. Anywhere as long as it’s not in the retail centre and as long as it’s cheap. Maybe somewhere along Ruthin Road?

[/quote]

If I lived on Ruthin Road or one of the streets along there, I would be mortified at this suggestion. I don’t understand why there isn’t already joined-up thinking amongst the service providers involved. I don’t think these service providers give two hoots about the economic impact on the town centre or to residents having to live near this day after day. They’ve already co-located themselves in a particular area.
    In fact, why aren’t Tŷ Croeso and Tŷ Nos open during he day? [Tŷ Nos is of course stating in its very name that it only intends to cater for the night time.] These buildings are wasted space during the day – could they not get enough volunteers to staff the buildings during the day so that addicts have a place to go?

bubble
    Participant

In fact, it annoys me that we’re told a sob story about how the empty days with nowhere to go are unbearable for the ‘homeless’. I fill my days with work. I would love to have every day off. If I became bored I could volunteer for charity. Or go to the library and read or use a computer – this would give them a warm place to spend their time. But they would of course have to adhere to rules and acceptable standards of behaviour – things that they seem determined not to do.
    Is it, as alluded to in JP’s post, really necessary for society to provide them with food, shelter and something to do during the daytime? These things are not provided to me. There is a distasteful sense of entitlement – everything should be handed to them on a plate while they behave however they like.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

News