Moss valley country park – litter & neglect

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Moss valley country park – litter & neglect

• Author

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

As a regular walker in Moss Valley Country Park, I would like to highlight the increasing amount of litter currently in the park, especially the area of the upper footpath from the Golf Club end, that runs south towards the Lakes.

The bulk of rubbish has been left since the weekend of the 18th January, when the heavy snowfall attracted sledges to the steep banks, as previously covered by Wrexham.com Unfortunately, although the participants sledging skills were commendable, their litter picking was poor. Beer cans, plastic bags, condoms!! and other rubbish is strewn along a decent stretch of the park. The stream that feeds the two lakes is rammed full of plastic bags and other rubbish. At some point this rubbish will end up in the fishing lake.

I have spoken to helpful Alyn Waters staff on two occasions in the last 10 days requesting action, but the rubbish is still lying there. Now because the council failed to deal with it promptly after the snow melted, more rubbish is accumulating and fly tipping is starting to occur. Its bit like “broken windows”, leave one smashed and others will then be broken.

Moss Valley is designated as a Country Park. The council have a policy for dealing with litter and someone must be allocated that area. I can only assume that no council official or litter picker has visited the country park since before the weekend of the 18 Jan. The parks are important to the community, they’re not areas of wasteland and need proper management. Please don’t let this part of our borough become neglected and an eyesore.

Huw
    Participant

No dissrespect but the Moss Valley has been looking shabby for years and is frequently used by the local drug users. My advice would be to find somewhere else to walk. The last time I was there I didn’t feel safe at all.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

The area is fine Big H. Lots of dog walkers out and about(very little dog mess). Guys fishing at the lower lake. Mums with the kids feeding the ducks and using the play park, its a really nice area these days. No obvious sign of drugs, needles etc. But the level of rubbish is unacceptable. Finding somewhere else to walk is not the answer.

michellecook
    Participant

It is sad when people don’t respect the area. How hard is it really to put the litter into a bag or pocket and drop it in a bin as you pass? Have you considered contacting the Community Payback team?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Great idea Michelle. The area would have the environmental clean up it needed and the offenders would be able to repay their debt to society in a practical way.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

UPDATE:

Eventually I emailed Wrexham Council. Received a prompt response yesterday from Richard Aram, explaining that they were currently short staffed and promising a quick resolution. Today a further email confirming the top path had been cleared and the stream would be cleared by tuesday.

I’m happy.

jimbow
    Participant

It just goes to show that highlighting on WREXHAM.COM and afterwards an e mail to the Council does have a required effect.Long live WREXHAM.COM and may it continue for ever

michellecook
    Participant

That’s great news, and yes, there are many influential people lurking on these forums :p

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@thunderbirdskid 3839 wrote:

UPDATE:

Eventually I emailed Wrexham Council. Received a prompt response yesterday from Richard Aram, explaining that they were currently short staffed and promising a quick resolution. Today a further email confirming the top path had been cleared and the stream would be cleared by tuesday.

I’m happy.

Well done for taking the initative and doing something about it. It just shows that one person can make a difference.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News