Mosque For Civic Award?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Mosque For Civic Award?

• Author

Stoneagle
    Participant

Mr Strange (Wrexham Leader Letters, Aug 21st) is unhappy about one of the nominations for a Civic Award – The Islamic Cultural Centre, Grosvenor Rd Wrexham.
    Mr Strange would prefer it were a mining museum.
    Like it or not, it’s part of Wrexham’s future. Lovingly restored and well used by people of all ages.
    Go on, councillors – vote for The Mosque!

99DylanJones
    Participant

It’s a bit late for Mr Strange to raise this now after so many years since the Miners was sold — perhaps he should have raised the issue at the time when the building first came on the market. Perhaps he should be asking those that were Trustees of the building when it was sold did they give any money to the Mine Heritage Group based at Bersham Colliery or will they donate to the preservation of the unique Mine Rescue Centre by Wrexham Warehouse Project. Did any of the money raised from the sale actually stay in Wrexham or did it go into the coffers of the NUM or other Union funds.

Matt
    Participant

What next? Giving the Groves Site Mamba-heads afternoon tea at the Mayor’s parlour? Kosovan travellers stealing all the plum pitches from the Polish caravan insurgency?

Stoneagle
    Participant

The Open Days held at The Mosque are well attended and give everyone a chance to see how its internal features have been beautifully restored. You can talk to lots of families who use the Mosque and see how it contributes to their lives. It’s nomination for a Civic Award is well deserved.

MP1953
    Participant

Would love to go in there again, after going there for many years previously, and have a look around especially if it has been restored etc. Anybody know when they have the open days ?

Stoneagle
    Participant

There was an Open Day a few months ago but next time you pass, call in and ask when the next one is. Or, email their website.

IMHO
    Participant

The last time i asked if i could enter a Mosque i was told (by the guide i had hired) that, as i wasn’t a Muslim and hadn’t been through the many cleansing rituals they go through i wasn’t worthy so could not enter. This was at a big Mosque in FEZ Morocco earlier this year. As i was prepared to do the “ablutions” required ie. washing feet and hands etc. I found it puzzling to say the least.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News