Morrissons Fuel Contaminated

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Morrissons Fuel Contaminated

• Author

Chris
    Participant

I would arrange for car to go to main dealer for assessment.

Metalhead
    Participant

@Chris 8181 wrote:

Been told by a very good source its derv in petrol. Do not except tank being flushed as expensive long term damage.

Yep, this incident couldn’t have screamed ‘cocktail’ more if it had an umbrella and a cherry on stick in it! These incidents are always far more likely to occur the way that large multi national retailers operate. They use a system known as DCD (driver controlled delivery) where the driver basically carries out everything by himself. In my experience they will rarely check anything, whatever is on the petroleum certificate will get tipped. Our sites generally have a 2 man operation where a trained competent person checks everything the driver does and vice-versa. Nothing is tipped into a storage tank until both are happy that everything is connected up correctly. It’s all down to keeping costs down but I’m not a fan of driver controlled deliveries myself.

The thing is these incidents (not as uncommon as you might like to think) are the absolute ‘do not’ in this industry. It is nothing short of gross incompetence and really should never happen, this is why Morrison’s are highly unlikely to own up to it.

Chris is correct, if a vehicle has had this UnDiesleaded fuel dragged through fuel filters and the like then they really should be changed (on both petrol & diesel vehicles). If no symptoms have occurred then you might be OK with a straight forward fuel swap, if not then I would definitely recommend getting this done.

Rob
    Participant

@Metalhead 8188 wrote:

Yep, this incident couldn’t have screamed ‘cocktail’ more if it had an umbrella and a cherry on stick in it!

Brilliant ! :D

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

boom.jpg

Chris
    Participant

Metalhead if a modern car has been driven then the CAT will have been damaged this may not show up until MOT time 3 years for a brand new car.

Rob as a responsible journalist have you contacted the AA to get a sample independently analised.

Steve
    Participant

Had the wife’s car sorted out by the AA today, here petrol looked to be clear of water, however I am happy we now know it is ok. Draining the tank or breaking down appears to be the only way to know if you have the problem. I would guess that if you have been driving for a day then you are fine.

What I “know”
    A tanker had water in it and it has put in one of the unleaded forecourt tanks.
    Depending which of the unleaded nozzles you used then depends if you were effected.
    About 30 cars were effected and the AA have dealt with about 15 that have come forward with problems.
    I did see today a man working on the tanks and pumping clear water looking liquid from the tank inspection cover to a drain around the inspection covers.

The AA Drained and put £12 of fresh petrol in.
    Morissons gave me £20 of fuel and I will need to clam the rest of it back off their insurance.

Metalhead
    Participant

Steve, why would a compartment of a tanker have had water in it? :confused:

Regarding the pumping you saw, that will be clearing any standing water off the tank tops. This is standard maintenance, we generally do this about once a month. You cannot pump anything out of a petrol storage tank into a drain but standing rain water that has pooled around the tank tops is fine (as long as the drain runs into the petrol interceptor). If the fuel lifted from your wife’s car was clear then phase separation had not occurred so it would not have been water contamination (would have been cloudy/milky in appearance if it was).

Chris, never heard of cats being damaged TBH, although just because I have never heard of it does not mean it cannot happen! Another point is with the possibility of future problems with manufacturers warranties (I believe in some cases running a car on the wrong fuel can void them). Derv in petrol cars is fairly rare these days as the nozzles are bigger and do not fit (although I have actually dealt with a couple of people that did seem to manage it!). As you mentioned in your earlier post it would seem a good idea to get any effected vehicles checked out by the main dealer, just to be sure (there will be no chance of any comeback in a few months time).

Chris
    Participant

Interesting comparison
    Can diesel in gas engine ruin catalytic converter? – Straight Dope Message Board

My car would be booked in main dealer straight away.

Steve
    Participant

I believe they have pressure tested the tanks on the forecourt and all was fine.

I guess they will be doing more investigations into what happened, but the story appears to be that the tanker brought the water with the petrol, and put it in one of the unleaded storage tanks.

Guess we will have to wait for the full investigation now.

Rondetto
    Participant

Morrison’s have issued a statement, it is as we thought rainwater that got into one of the tanks. They are making sure it wont happen again but I guess it might put a few off filling up there.

Rainwater blamed for contaminated fuel at Morrisons in Wrexham – North Wales Weekly News

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

MMA Event coming to north east Wales this weekend!

News