Morrissons Fuel Contaminated

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Morrissons Fuel Contaminated

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

Yes, though they have sealed units it has happened before with a heavy downpour. So it’s more likely to be that than a “Bad patch” It would obviously affected other outlets if that was the case.

Cleggywxm
    Participant

I used Morrison for fuel and my car is running awful now engine not right at all only started since I put fuel in there

Steve
    Participant

AA Booked in to drain my wifes tank in the morning.

After phoning morrisons (as above) then calling the AA using a number I found as Morrissons did not have a contact number to give me, I was told by the AA that they had no deal with morrissons to pay for the fuel removal that costs £212.

The AA put me on hold then took the details of the car, told me to phone Morrissons again and this time Morrissons phoned through to the AA to Pay for the tank drain.

The guy is coming from Manchester to do my wifes car tomorrow as the ‘local’ guys are flat out booked!

The AA number is 0800 197 9562 (The AA also gave me this number once I was booked in 0800 048 0456)

But get clearance from Morrisons first or be prepared to pay yourself.

Morrisons have also given me a phone number to claim off them for the ‘lost’ Fuel.

Remember to keep your fuel receipt!!!!!

Steve.

Metalhead
    Participant

Rondetto, are you sure the Tesco contamination you mentioned from a few ago was not the nationwide issue experienced from all Vopak supplied terminals? (I was told at the time that it was, unless there was another incident?).

Vopak investigates fuel after contamination claims-01/03/2007-ICIS News

….and does anyone know who is the majority shareholder of the company held accountable? Lets just say they would have been highly unlikely to want to broadcast it!

As I previously mentioned, tanks these days are all double skinned (a tank within a tank if you like) so any water would basically need to pass between 2 very robust layers. Other places such as fuel lines where water could perhaps get in would result in the pumps failing to dispense. Also if the Wrexham.com article is correct and both grades were effected it would be very unlikely that both would show symptoms simultaneously as derv generally has a much higher water acceptance threshold than spirit. Unless something major was overlooked when this site was constructed I would be very surprised if this issue was caused by rain water.

Steve
    Participant

When I phoned the AA earlier they checked with ‘dispatch’ and told me that the problem was water in the PETROL, no mention of diesel fuel problems, but I may be wrong.

Metalhead
    Participant

@Steve 8172 wrote:

When I phoned the AA earlier they checked with ‘dispatch’ and told me that the problem was water in the PETROL, no mention of diesel fuel problems, but I may be wrong.

Steve, you should be able to see if phase separation has occurred in the petrol removed from your wife’s car as it looks like very milky coffee!

If this issue was indeed caused by water it is also very strange that the site’s tank gauges did not go into alarm as they are supposed to constantly monitor any water levels to detect such problems (I’m presuming there were no audible alarms at the time your wife was on site?). It can be difficult to detect water in today’s ethanol blended fuel as it has what is known as a hygroscopic effect where the fuel will absorb a certain amount of water before an issue can become apparent. However, the amount of water that would have been needed to have created what appears to have happened today really should have sent the site into alarm (if that is indeed what happened).

Simon
    Participant

@Taffy 8147 wrote:

Just been down that way. Seems to be a few cars parked up on the side of the forecourt. There is another car on the pavement by the traffic lights, another parked with its hazards on just before the flyover and another car being put on a trailer by the gypsy camp….don’t know if its all down to fuel issues.

Yes I saw this at about 6pm. There were two AA vans trying to sort out broken down cars on the forecourt, and there was three cars broken down by the bypass traffic lights.

Born Acorn
    Participant

I filled up at Morrisons this morning at 8:15 and have not (yet) experienced any issues.

shaun123
    Participant

when I used to work in a petrol station, we had an alarm behind the counter which would sound if the water went above the safe amount. If I remember right, them alarms are a legal requirement to have in a petrol station too!

Chris
    Participant

Been told by a very good source its derv in petrol. Do not except tank being flushed as expensive long term damage.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Employees smash Manchester Marathon in aid of North East Wales Mind

News

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News