More Town Centre Consultants appointed

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum More Town Centre Consultants appointed

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

I can’t see the problem with Consultants. When you have in place a paid Mayor, Councillors with expenses, Executive Officers and Council employees, you can’t really expect any of these to develop policy for the town.

After all…..there has to be a very good reason for all of the extremely high Business Rates and I like to think that I do my little bit for the largesse swimming around.

The Monitor
    Participant

@wxm 19320 wrote:

There is probably a bright officer in the Council who would relish the opportunity to do this piece of work. Consultants were particularly introduced 20 to 30 years ago to introduce new ideas and share practice from elsewhere. Today between everyone being so well travelled and social media, things are quite different.

The successful emerging localised economies are the ones that champion the assets, culture and values that have been built up in an area during previous generations (unless a Milton Keynes is created with the necessary investment).

History shows that many or most places are a vision put together by one person. We probably have in our midst a person who could work throughout the community to produce a master plan for Wrexham (town and throughout the county), for everyone to consider. Zoning the geography, building on values built up over generations, working towards new and emerging markets, is not difficult.

Ok … folks let’s get involved. There is enough retired expertise out there who would willingly offer their skills and negate the need for outside ‘consultants’, if offered the opportunity. What do you say?

wxm
    Participant

@The Monitor 19357 wrote:

Ok … folks let’s get involved. There is enough retired expertise out there who would willingly offer their skills and negate the need for outside ‘consultants’, if offered the opportunity. What do you say?

That’s a very good idea. Wrexham is crying out for a clear vision of the future. We would probably need very clear goals and deadlines as a group to focus. Integrating a vision for future jobs and industry, with pleasant spaces, good educational environment and a health system that nurtures those in need at the time, is exciting.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Oh my God! If the committee was formed by some of the contributors to this forum, we would indeed end up with a camel when the brief was to design a horse.
    It really doesn’t bear thinking about and the minutes of the meeting would be so long that that they would have to be called hours!

99DylanJones
    Participant

There is always the democratic way — stand as a Councilor at next election

jimbow
    Participant

What good would this do ? :)

Alunh
    Participant

I agree with elements of Benjamin’s point about Committees. For me, there is no need for this approach or indeed the use of Consultants….certainly not as frequently as Wrexham uses them.

Because we have several tiers of paid people already, I find it incredible to think that all of the monies that are outgoing require additional expenditure on top. I appreciate that there may not be specific expertise on specific problems but that still does not provide an explanation. There are vast amounts of Reports on, for example, the development of good Markets to work through in the public domain and there are towns which have already commissioned indepth studies with working recommendations to operate from. Whatever happened, for example, to the Glyndwr initiative with the Wrexham Markets and where does the Manchester met initiative fit in with all of this

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Alright Benjaminm calm down calm down, don’t get the hump!!!

Ferret
    Participant

@wxm 19362 wrote:

That’s a very good idea. Wrexham is crying out for a clear vision of the future. We would probably need very clear goals and deadlines as a group to focus. Integrating a vision for future jobs and industry, with pleasant spaces, good educational environment and a health system that nurtures those in need at the time, is exciting.

Sounds straightforward. Go on then

wxm
    Participant

@Ferret 19388 wrote:

Sounds straightforward. Go on then

All we need is for Wrexham.Com to set up one of those virtual web spaces, a bright Council officer to act as the moderator and we’re away

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News