Minimum price for alcohol becomes law in Wales

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Minimum price for alcohol becomes law in Wales

• Author

Hugh Bet
    Participant

I was assessing the impact that this will have upon one’s own consumption of alcoholic beverages using the benchmark of that imposed upon our Scottish friends, a minimum unit price of 50p and I am of the opinion that rather than discourage Mr Joseph Average, this would most certainly encourage him or her to experience a better class of tipple.

Being unable to pick up a bottle of vino for under five pounds i would suggest they spend a little more and experience something far more delightful.

For those being without the funds to purchase their favourite cans of cider or lager, then perhaps they may seek employment to afford such luxuries.

This sure is a winner winner roast dinner of a policy!

MP1953
    Participant

To those frequenting Wrexham town centre, this will not make a blind bit of difference, therefore as usual these so called (maybe well intentioned) laws will mainly effect the majority of Joe Public that can handle their alcohol intake in a responsible manor already… Ah Well ..

Bryn6
    Participant

If this does actually make any difference to the price of regular strength drinks that most people buy, I suspect lots of people will just get their ale when they’re in England. Total own goal.

Matt
    Participant

I think the main impact regular drinkers will discover is that there will be less promotions on spirits. Minimum price for a 700ml bottle of 40% vodka/whisky/gin etc… will be £14 as there are 28 units.

Now this isn’t a bank breaking price, but shoppers are price sensitive and when there’s the heavily discounted offers such as 2 for £20 on spirits at Christmas – people will go across the border to Chester/Oswestry etc… to shop on principle that they want to get a good deal. So I think it will impact on off licences in Wales.

Likewise people will also bulk buy wine across the border if the minimum pricing available is £5 for a bottle – yes the nicer wine is usually priced above £5 per bottle – but if you want a large get together you’ll want lots of lower priced house/table wine or those boxes.

I’m fully aware of the health benefits/good intentions of apparently pricing out those who can afford get to blind drunk booze for a pittance, but since when have addicts ever been deterred by price. They’ll move onto something else, some who can will pay more (look how much smokers are paying now for 20 cigs!) and others will just resort to stealing booze instead – security measures across town and in supermarkets to prevent shoplifting is abysmal.

This is nothing more than a terrible economic sting. Consumption will not decrease, habits will just change and another retail type will get a beating in an already cruel environment.

Sheefag
    Participant

How about minimum pricing for Spice?

AMA Express
    Participant

Matt, I’m sure the retail outlets would love to hear your views on how they might improve on their measures to combat shoplifting. Indeed, the police and judiciary would also no doubt be interested in the measures that you’d propose.

MP1953
    Participant

But once again why can’t the people who come up with these ideas see all the pit falls that probably 95% of the population can see happening.
    I know I go on about it all the time but it is still all on the lines of the PC agenda, this country especially is b******d, glad I have lived most of my life before all this C**P started.

Matt
    Participant

AMA I have no measures. I just know about the shocking amount in the thousands that certain large stores are losing through theft just within half a year period and nothing is being done about it.

Some of the larger retailers honestly don’t seem to care about it. You see how many have store detectives present every day. Not every store has its security tagging measures up and running. CCTV not consistently being checked and monitored.

Perhaps it is the case that they view the £££ thousands in lost stock not as worth as much as cost of security measures to prevent it from happening and have relevant insurance cover to offset some of those losses as well.

To point out an issue doesn’t mean you have to have a comprehensive plan to prevent it. I know you work security and I’m not saying it’s those firms that are useless. I’m saying retailers in this hostile economic environment are cutting costs and basically just writing off loss of stock.

You look at how many hundreds of large retail chain stores are being proposed to close down across the country and you can see a losing battle is being fought across the board.

AMA Express
    Participant

The sad fact is Matt it’s exactly what the situation has come to. Retailers are writing off a percentage of stock to theft because there’s no point in deterring shoplifters these days. Retail security officers have little or no reason to stop or detain suspected thieves. As soon as they touch a person they leave themselves open to accusations of assault. Also, with social media the way it is today, if they were to apprehend one, they will be instantly judged and their actions questioned. If they do manage to persuade someone to be detained there’s a good chance that the police won’t, for various reasons, attend. If they do attend, there’s a good chance that they or the CPS decide that prosecution isn’t “in the public interest”. If there is a prosecution, the costs involved to the store and the eventual sentence don’t justify it.

The majority of retailers who have security guards on the doors have them because it keeps their insurance premiums down and they pay them the minimum wage. As you can imagine, this gives them no incentive whatsoever to get involved in an altercation with a thief. CCTV has to be monitored constantly, otherwise it’s not worth installing. It’s pretty much useless after the fact, unless you’re looking for an opportunity to make £250 from “You’ve Been Framed”.

I’ve never worked on the doors in retail security for all the above reasons.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Is there an offie in Weston Rhyn or Farndon, if not there soon will be.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News