Mine rescue centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Mine rescue centre

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Really pleased to see a proposal to rebuild/refurbish the Mine Rescue Centre in Wrexham. This historical building has been left in a dire state of repair after the failed demolition bid bu Nev Dikens.
    The Warehouse project have a really good reputation for involving the community in projects.
    Can understand the concerns of some residents regarding possible parking but the site looks like it has space for about 8 cars. Many of the cars in Maesgwyn Road during the day are probably people who work in town- this is an issue for all surrounding streets in Rhosddu as well– perhaps a residents parking permit scheme should be tried again.
    Well done George and others for taking this project on.

Mike Davies
    Participant

Totally agree Dylan. I know the building very well as it was used by the Fire Service for many years as Fire Safety office and training venue.
    It has local historical interest and it was shocking how an attempt was made to destroy the building in breach of listing. Sadly it has been left exposed and is deteriorating. Hopefully it can be preserved and also used for a good purpose.
    Regarding parking, there used to be a dozen or so people working there daily, and there were indeed several parking spaces to the rear of the building.

zinger
    Participant

Hope all goes well with the planning application this afternoon.

zinger
    Participant

Planning permission granted. Excellent news. Wrexham Warehouse Project has come up with a plan which will turn the Mines Rescue Station into a viable building whilst retaining its heritage. Well done.

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

Mine Rescue Centre …… ?

How did they rescue mines?????

zinger
    Participant

Have you never heard of the Gresford disaster Owain? How do you think that Gresford Colliery was reopened after such a massive explosion? Who do you think made the underground workings safe to be worked for another 40 years?

Born Acorn
    Participant

Well Gresford had three shafts, only one was affected by the disaster, and given that the damaged districts were permanently sealed after the disaster and 254 bodies still remain down in the sealed Dennis shaft to this day, probably nobody.

zinger
    Participant

“There is none so blind ………..”

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

[quote quote=133842]Have you never heard of the Gresford disaster Owain? How do you think that Gresford Colliery was reopened after such a massive explosion? Who do you think made the underground workings safe to be worked for another 40 years?

[/quote]
    Thank you for pointing that out Zinger, i assumed it was a typo

zinger
    Participant

No problem Owain. It is also the Mines Rescue Station not Centre. I may stand corrected but I believe that Gresford was the first pit to be re-opened after such a big disaster. The piece of music ‘Gresford’ by Robert Saint is world famous and is known as the Miner’s Hymn.’

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News