Memorial Hall Soul Night

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Memorial Hall Soul Night

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

A few of us went to the memorial hall last night (sat 12th April) thinking that we were going to a usual Soul Night organised by a local DJ of which we have been to many of over the years, it was billed as a charity night of which is not unusual.

But when we got there we could see it was not all as usual, as there were a lot of tables with reserve signs on, table clothes with flowers on the tables, and what seemed to be a lot of dignitaries including the mayor, local mp Councillors etc.

We went to the event which was advertised as a usual Soul Night but it seemed to be overtaken/hijacked, of course the aim of the night was for charity of which I am sure was a successful night, but all the reserved tables was bad form for something that was not billed as a private function.

Alunh
    Participant

Just to correct the last poster

This was NOT a normal Soul night organised by a local dj (Denzil). The dj in question was booked by the Charitable organisation and, as is his habit, did try to sell some additional tickets for the function. The promoter, who was NOT Denzil, organised this event on behalf of the Mayor’s fund and all proceeds were donated to a very good local cause.

If it appeared that there was any linkage between the event last night and the events that normally occur, this is because the promoter used the usual place (the Memorial Hall), booked the same dj, booked one of the regular acts who play the circuit (Soul Amigos), and sold tickets in the usual outlets (mine and the Tourist Info Centre).

MP1953
    Participant

I appreciate what you are saying Alunh, but the fact was the event was not a private function, it was a function that was open to the general public to support, and therefore I fail to see why tables were reserved, by the way we were not the only people who objected to this.

Alunh
    Participant

@MP1953 12637 wrote:

I appreciate what you are saying Alunh, but the fact was the event was not a private function, it was a function that was open to the general public to support, and therefore I fail to see why tables were reserved, by the way we were not the only people who objected to this.

Can’t answer that one. At a guess, I would assume that these were guests of either the Mayor or the Charity. I don’t think it is unusual to have a set up where “dignitaries” who are invited will be given set aside places. I suspect that those who “objected” hadn’t appreciated the nature of the beast here.

Other events like the Mayor’s Ball also vary from the mainstream.

My only point here was to ensure that you understood that this night was not one of Denzil’s promotions. Denzil has a superb program lined up for the autumn and both he and myself are looking at some bigger names where possible

MP1953
    Participant

Yes I do realize now that it was not one of Denzils promotions, somehow though, us included a lot of people did not realize that fact before arriving last night, will be careful to check in future, as even although we were glad the night made some good money for the charities it was not what we come to expect from the usual Motown/Northern Soul nights. ;)

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News