Marks & Spencer

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Marks & Spencer

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

Since their move to Eagles Meadow, the store haven’t been as busy as it was in the town centre.
    Last week the accountants were called in and since then it’s been decided
    to change the opening hours.
    At present they open at 8am, from May it will open at 9am.
    They still have a few years left on their 10 year lease.
    Obviously that means a saving on staff wages.

zinger
    Participant

I will be honest. I have only been to M & S once since it moved to Eagles Meadow. I went in possibly every week when it was in town. BHS tends to get my business now. Nothing to do with Eagles Meadow, just that that isn’t in the area where I spend my time when in town.

Rondetto
    Participant

Same here, I tend to shop in the town centre to. There are the odd times when we need some M&S food or clothing. But when it was in regent street I was in there 3 or 4 times a week.

wrexview
    Participant

Just imagine if they moved into the old TJ Hughes site , how that would rejuvenate the town centre. The food section often has tinned food on the chilled shelves mid week which must reflect lack of sales during the week.

Rondetto
    Participant

Very observant, yes my wife has told me the same. You’re right too, it must reflect their sales. Where they used to be so busy in the mornings in town, many times there’s just been two or three people in there. Very often the shelves are empty of the things I go in for.

Alunh
    Participant

We have to be careful what we wish for here. Whilst M & S may or not not be doing as well on Eagle’s Meadow as they were in the town centre, it may well be the case that M & S would pull the plug in Wrexham if they do not trade on a car park. In Rhyl, M & S were located on the High Street but closed and relocated to nearby Prestatyn on a car park. Whilst this might reflect the higher disposable income in the smaller town, it is the case that M & S have been badly hit by the Supermarkets across the UK.

M & S were once regarded primarily as a Clothes retailer but this has changed radically over the years. Food is vital as is the other product ranges that they carry. Businesses like Sainsbury’s bite into their food turnover and the idea of TJ Hughes (where food would have to be carried away) may not have quite the appeal that we think.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Other empty shops with car parking are Border Retail Park (not ideal as very dead most of the week), Plas Coch (too close to Sainsbury), Tesco site (too close to Tesco). The one thing they have in common is Free car parking – perhaps M & S should follow the example of some of the other business in Eagles Meadow and give a refund of the car park fee to try and boost sales.

Rondetto
    Participant

The car park charges at Eagles meadow have certainly contributed to poor sales.

Alunh
    Participant

@Rondetto 12625 wrote:

The car park charges at Eagles meadow have certainly contributed to poor sales.

Agreed

These are 3 of the trends in play over the last decade

1. The rise and further rise of the Internet

2. Ditto with the Supermarkets (which in Wrexham has seen geometric growth)

3. Rising town centre rates and rising car park charges to help feed insatiable government growth

I am guessing that M & S have relocated in several towns because of 2 & 3. Town Centre landlords have been forced to reduce rates to try and fill their properties but struggle to fill their shops because of rates and the move of foot-flow to out of town and the internet. Government and Councils (who should know better) appear unable to either reduce the cost of government or adopt creative parking solutions to drag punters back to bricks and mortar town centre shops.

My conclusions remain that M & S will not reappear in the town of Wrexham at any point in the near future regardless of perceptions of their trade

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News