Maesgwyn Miners Rescue Centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Maesgwyn Miners Rescue Centre

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Lack of parking spaces. 4 spaces for 19 student rooms. The Walnut Tree & the Mitre had to have 1 parking space per 2 rooms. Over intensification of use. This residential street is already awash with students. No change there then. Maintaining the integrity of a listed building. What has changed with this? They have at last covered it with council supervision sheltering it from the weather. Have the planning committee made a site visit yet? Have they made good the damage? I don’t think so.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;4587 wrote:
    Does rumour have any idea on what grounds the appeal may be made? That is not meant to sound sarcastic but it seems to read that way!

No idea sorry.

Didn’t think you were being sarcastic.

From my knowledge, property developers don’t do appeals on “grounds”, they threaten them, so councils back down because they don’t like spending money as if they lose they look like they have wasted cash.

PhilWynn
    Participant

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to meet with Jason and Jamie Sheffield at the the Mine Rescue Station to view the weatherproofing work they have carried out in the last fortnight to the rear of the building. This work has involved boxing in that part of the Drill Hall/Galleries to reduce the risk of rough sleepers breaking into the building, along with felting the roof.

Having actively campaigned to have the Rescue Station listed by CADW it was so sad to see the building in its current state but at least it is now weatherproofed. The work has yet to be examined by the Council’s Conservation Officer/Building Control Officer, who will have the final say as to whether the work is of an appropriate standard.

Whilst the owners have the right to appeal the Council’s planning refusal decision they have entered into dialogue we me as to whether there is a possibility of reinstating the Drill Hall/Training Galleries for a heritage use,which has to be welcomed.

I am more than happy to provide a further update soon but in the meantime I feel it would be inappropriate to enter into open dialogue on this forum.

Cllr Phil Wynn

wxm
    Participant

Great to see a Councillor on here. Why don’t you have your own forum Councillor Wynn? Ruabon Road is looking pretty good compared to most towns, is the Brickfield still in good shape?

Chris
    Participant

@PhilWynn 4640 wrote:

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to meet with Jason and Jamie Sheffield at the the Mine Rescue Station to view the weatherproofing work they have carried out in the last fortnight to the rear of the building. This work has involved boxing in that part of the Drill Hall/Galleries to reduce the risk of rough sleepers breaking into the building, along with felting the roof.

Having actively campaigned to have the Rescue Station listed by CADW it was so sad to see the building in its current state but at least it is now weatherproofed. The work has yet to be examined by the Council’s Conservation Officer/Building Control Officer, who will have the final say as to whether the work is of an appropriate standard.

Whilst the owners have the right to appeal the Council’s planning refusal decision they have entered into dialogue we me as to whether there is a possibility of reinstating the Drill Hall/Training Galleries for a heritage use,which has to be welcomed.

I am more than happy to provide a further update soon but in the meantime I feel it would be inappropriate to enter into open dialogue on this forum.

Cllr Phil Wynn

Phil the concern would still be there that the promises will be made but the developers will somehow run out of money when it comes to the drill hall. I mean it’s not the first time in Wrexham is it. #queensstreet

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@PhilWynn 4640 wrote:

Cllr Phil Wynn

I totally understand the reasons you give for not entering into a debate in the public forum when talks are on going but perhaps you can understand the publics frustration over this building. It is an important part of our mining history. It may not be the prettiest building but mining never was a pretty industry. Men and boys lost their lives in the quest to wrestle fuel from the ground and some of us still have ties with the heritage. Promises have been made and broken over this site. Criminal damage has been done and the perpetrator seems unconcerned, even above the law to us lesser motals. I am glad the building has been protected from the weather now but why on earth wasn’t it done when the illegal demolishion was discovered? I walked past the site on the day it was happening and my heart went out to the workmen who were being held by the police. They were just following their bosses orders while he was goodness knows where but far from the site I bet! We want to know if this site means as much to the council as it does to some of the population. Do WE matter to the council or are we just a means of generating income?

I seem to have run out of steam now, am off for a coffee. Rant over!

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Giving Phil credit he has always had an interest in heritage. Before he was a councillor he campaigned for the turf to be saved and funnily enough outside another pub, the gate hangs high, i remember having another chat with him about wrexham heritage.

He is not stupid on this, he does recognise everything has to be a bargaining chip and will be pragmatic about it, but his heart is in the right place on things like this.

For me, not enough is being done with dickens, he stands to make a lot of profit from destroying history and all for a fine of a few grand.

If i remember the tax laws correctly and if they are the same as a few years ago [dont remember osbourne meddling with this one] if the sheffields spend less than 15k of captial spending before the 6th April on repairing the building it’s almost free given how it can used as a 100% tax allowance. I.e. It’s in their financial interest to do the work now.

For me, if this goes to appeal, the activists are within their right to begin direct action.

And given the shared history of the football club, mining and the gresford disaster as well as naughty nev being involved, I’m sure some of the wrexham fans will be only too happy to help them.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

tax breaks…
    see flat conversions…
    Flat conversion allowance (FCA): Contents

Currently, naughty nev can also actually swap his charge for equity in the company and with that become the majority shareholder.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

There has been some activity in the Mines Rescue Centre over the last two weeks and a very nice Porsche parked there a couple of times. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

No idea, but i have been told that the sheffield’s deal in second hand car, sales hence their connection to Dickens..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News