Maesgwyn Miners Rescue Centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Maesgwyn Miners Rescue Centre

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Here we go again. “It is proposed that the building is converted into accommodation that would occupy the ground floor of the building’s workshop, along with the ground floor, training gallery and the first floor of the Superintendents House”. quote Wrexham.com. I wonder if the repairs to the training galleries & the drill have been done yet. I won’t hold my breath.

zinger
    Participant

wrexview
    Participant

Odd to,include an annual exhibition with a mining flavour in the new planning application. Do the number of students flats/ accommodation exceed the number of students? Also remember many students prefer to share houses as it is a cheaper option.

Simon
    Participant

@NJones 4435 wrote:

Is it me or does this JJ developments sound like a paid off front for dickens?

IF my memory serves me correctly, JJ was Mrs Dickens’ company.

It’s not really hard to work out is it. He has been so fortunate with business in Wrexham. His garage space on Mold Rd was estimated roughly at £1.2m. He made near enough £1m extra on top of that when selling it to Geoff Moss (Wrexham Village). Mr Moss, prior to buying the plot of land, in a BBC Wales interview along with Ruthin-based builder Ian Roberts, said there was no money available for Wrexham Football Club. Yet a few months later he buys the Dickens-owned garage space.
    Ian Roberts stood up at a fans meeting and said that every penny of profit from Wrexham Village would be ploughed back into Wrexham F.C. “For the avoidance of any doubt I mean 100%”. Some people have touted a long-term profit yield of between £30m – £40m. Wrexham Village has instead been tied up in trusts for the respective business interests & their family’s.

Wrexham Council should have insisted that the proposed new Kop Stand be built before granting these individuals planning permission.

Iwould dearly love to see Wrexham Council deny any further planning permission on the old Dickens garage site, unless even a donation be made for the provision of a new Kop Stand as previously promised by the afore mentioned businessmen.

Simon
    Participant

Unless Wrexham Council & CADW really put their foot down, I am resigned to the prospect that Mr Dickens will eventually get his way with the historic Miners Rescue Centre. Just for money. It is a part of the towns heritage.
    There are people in Wrexham alive now, who never knew their father, because of that fateful day in 1934.
    Is there anything else left in Wrexham that can be sold off?

Simon
    Participant

The scheme was unveiled two years ago as part of plans to redevelop the stadium and boost Wrexham FC’s finances.

BBC News – Wrexham's £40m student village opens

Wrexham Council really got screwed

Plaid Wrecsam:

Simon
    Participant

@Rob 4234 wrote:

It was stated at the planning meeting that the building is in disrepair, so it will be interesting to see how quickly the process is followed to ensure that the owners restore the listed building to how it should be as per legal obligations.

Rob, it was in a lot better condition before Dickens’ employees carried out orders set out to level it. Thankfully CADW stepped in to halt the illegal proceedings!! :)

gogledd
    Participant

A planning application has been submitted to turn 3 and 5 Maesgwyn Road (the Miners Rescue Centre) into student accommodation.
    P/2014/0056

The application does not specify how many students or which part of the building is to be converted.

Planning application for this use has previously been rejected, and I am surprised that an application can be made IF the building has not been restored to its former pre-demolition condition.

There is insufficient parking space for further student multi-occupancy accommodation in Maesgwyn Road. The road is already chocca with rail users and postal workers anyway.

If you wish to object or comment, the planning application is on line at Wrexham.gov.uk

zinger
    Participant

The North Wales Miners Association Trust will oppose it if they don’t restore what was damaged first. The whole building is listed not just a part of it. The more objections received by the planning dept. the stronger the case.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Removing fly-tipping cost Wrexham Council £21,500 last year

News

Voter registration for May’s Police and Crime Commissioner elections closes today

News

Have your say on Wrexham Council’s online services!

News

Youngsters create new garden for Wrexham’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

News

McElhenney And Reynolds Will Continue Wrexham Progress

News

Wrexham students dig in to create peace garden at local care home

News