Maelor A&E

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Maelor A&E

• Author

bobo the clown
    Participant

Excelling themselves tonight. M-in-L taken ill today. GP sent for an ambulance at 1.30pm. It’s gone 10.30pm now and still waiting. We’ve rung twice and they’ve even rung back to apologise once … so that’s alright then.

Once she gets there I’m assuming a wait of several hours. She’s 88 ffs. There’s no big incident. I’d understand if it was due to that.

Welsh total public spending is approx £10bn. £5.8bn of that is spent on health. How can it be so inefficient ? It’s been going on for years like this. How can the Hospital or the ludicrously named Betsi Cadwallader HA simply watch this happen ?

AMA Express
    Participant

Police response times are no better.

I called 999 last night on the Wrexham Ind Est because of a lot of shouting and screaming coming from a stationary car containing 3 lads and at least 1 female. It took them an hour and 20 minutes to attend.

bobo the clown
    Participant

Well, here’s an update : –
    it’s now almost 11hrs since they were called. The wife has spoken to the a medic in A&E as she’s now trying to get a GP to revisit at the home.

She is told that once she got there the current A&E queue is a 12 hour one. The place is in chaos …. and there is NO large-scale incident.

That’d be near as dammit a 24hr wait for a frail 88yr old with a fever making her agitated, poorly and delerious.

I’m assuming (no proof, but it fits and it IS what they do) that the ambulances are acting as mini-treatment or holding units so not to still further fill the waiting rooms. That means they can’t operate. I guess if a major incident occurred they would have to do something but a sick old woman who’s in a home doesn’t qualify.

If this was a one-off you’d roll with it. But it’s not is it ?!

Heads should roll. Not for tonight as such but because this is a cronic situation that’s been going on for years.

bobo the clown
    Participant

Picked up from the care home, eventually, after no-end of phone calls at 5.30am. A 16 hour wait for an ambulance to arrive.

Don’t get ill folks.

zinger
    Participant

And they want to build 12,000 or so new houses!!

Captain C
    Participant

and put 2,000 prisoners in the jail.

My wife was booked in by the Local GP as a emergency and he phoned ahead yesterday. It took 6 hours to get her from the waiting area and then a further 1.5hrs for someone to examine her. She was then finally admitted on to a ward. There were young children waiting with their parents to be seen and then people were told that there was upto 12 hour waiting times.
    This is just not good enough and is not the fault of the staff but the blame must be allocated higher up the ladder.

Daave63
    Participant

Whilst I am sympathetic with the above threads, I have to report a completely opposite view. My wife had a ‘whining’ appendix for a few weeks [we later found out] and it came to a head with the tell tale stabbing pains and she managed to get an emergency appoint with her GP at 4pm. He examined her, though it was appendix, rang the hospital, I took her in, booked in at A&E [yes very busy], she was called through and was in a bed on SAU by 5:15pm. Op next morning and home next day.

I cannot believe that the NHS/Ambulance service would leave a genuine serious emergency for 16hrs, and I don’t know the full facts but there are always two sides to most situations.

Captain C
    Participant

It would be worth visiting the A&E on a Monday (seemingly this is often a very busy day) and seeing for yourselves.

People were sitting on the floor and lots of children were waiting there. One gentleman who’s GP had sent in with a heart problem signed him self out after waiting over 6hrs.
    When we arrived (complete with GPs referral and a bed booked) we were told that there were no beds and six people at that time were waiting for a bed. I offered to take my wife home so they could phone when a bed was ready. They said if we left we would go to the bottom of the list even though that would have meant less people taking up space. Although there was lots of people with serious problems there was quite a number with minor things wrong and they amazed me by waiting all that time.
    The problem in the main is not the staff but higher up the ladder and it should be looked into by the NHS.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=118269]Whilst I am sympathetic with the above threads, I have to report a completely opposite view. My wife had a ‘whining’ appendix for a few weeks [we later found out] and it came to a head with the tell tale stabbing pains and she managed to get an emergency appoint with her GP at 4pm. He examined her, though it was appendix, rang the hospital, I took her in, booked in at A&E [yes very busy], she was called through and was in a bed on SAU by 5:15pm. Op next morning and home next day.

I cannot believe that the NHS/Ambulance service would leave a genuine serious emergency for 16hrs, and I don’t know the full facts but there are always two sides to most situations.

[/quote]

Again I have to agree that my experiences are similar in that whenever there is a LIFE THREATENING issue you are seen straight away, whilst at the same time I do appreciate and sympathize with people that have to wait for hours and would also agree that it is not right, but I think the problem is of varied reasons, doctors appointments,(lack of) a lot more people living longer, increasing population (immigration !!!!) to name but a few.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News