Local photos from the past

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Local photos from the past

• Author

Jonesy
    Participant

Rob – for years the frontage was propped up with scaffolding waiting for developemt. I saw a photo recently with it like that – it might have been on the facebook page. The failed plan for the precinct there would have incorporated the frontage.

As as an aisde does anyone else remember using those horrible gents underground toilets – see the entrance to the left of that pic of the veg market!

Andy
    Participant

Yes Jonesy, The toilets were known as “the bunker”

Andy
    Participant

Wrexham 1924 (press Ctrl key and + to zoom)

Wrexham1924.jpg

wrexview
    Participant

A really interesting photograph showing the railway running past the St Giles Church and trams in Brook Street.

justjojo2011
    Participant

Brilliant photo. I can’t imagine trams on Brook Street. How would they ever get through the hoards of drunken teenagers? lol

Darlofan
    Participant

Being a newbie to Wrexham that video from 1991 is fascinating. I take it the market at about 4mins is where Eagles Meadow is now? I often wondered what was there before E Meadow. At 3.07 it looks like the site where Tesco is now, when was Tesco built and what was there before?

Andy
    Participant

Wrexham was a market town. At 4 mins is the Monday market on the old Asda carpark. It was called the Beast market as animals (Sheep, Bulls etc.) were sold at auction where Mecca bingo is now. At 3.07 is the old Tesco. It was further back than the one now and was hideous really. If you look at the 1924 photo above you can see Eagles Meadow in the top/centre.

Rob
    Participant

There are some cracking pics of the Eagles Meadow development on Eagles Meadow Development – a set on Flickr

Some of the ‘ASDA Flyover’ as it was known:

436941864_f9a5d7cb87.jpg

436959753_9a72bf6ab8_o.jpg

and

441274472_5231a05397.jpg

tremault
    Participant

@Jonesy 1239 wrote:

As as an aisde does anyone else remember using those horrible gents underground toilets – see the entrance to the left of that pic of the veg market!

yes, I have a vague recollection of those toilets. it is very vague though since I am 32 and so was very young when those toilets were still there.

Born Acorn
    Participant

Just wondering if anyway had seen the three aerial photos from 1973 on the council’s website?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News