Local Elections 2012

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Local Elections 2012

• Author

Mike
    Participant

Do you anticipate there’ll be many young voters this year? With the lack of employment opportunities it may stimulate a reaction…

Rob
    Participant

Hopefully the turnout grows – however you might get the problem people have forgotten to register to vote!

Mike
    Participant

Register to what?!

Conde
    Participant

Personally, I think there will be a lot of apethathy with young voters in this election, disregarding people don’t put alot of weight to local elections either way.
    I think for those who this is their first time voting, who have grown up with a national government that has always been Labour, and this Co-alition government at the moment, I completely understand exactly why they would feel apethetic.
    BUT, this is also an important time for young people to get involved.
    I myself am only 18, hopefully the fact that young people can see a young candidate, will inspire them to get involved, at least I hope so!

Liam
    Participant

@Conde 638 wrote:

Personally, I think there will be a lot of apethathy with young voters in this election, disregarding people don’t put alot of weight to local elections either way.
    I think for those who this is their first time voting, who have grown up with a national government that has always been Labour, and this Co-alition government at the moment, I completely understand exactly why they would feel apethetic.
    BUT, this is also an important time for young people to get involved.
    I myself am only 18, hopefully the fact that young people can see a young candidate, will inspire them to get involved, at least I hope so!

I’ve noticed a few younger candidates emerging for these elections and it’s very encouraging to see. Out of interest what made you decide to put yourself forward for election?

Conde
    Participant

Personally, it’s because I keep hearing people talk down the work of councillors, and politicians in general.
    My entire philosophy on life, pretty much boils down to one sentance.
    “Stop wingeing, do something about it”
    I’ve got the passion and drive to hound the council officers and make sure issues are sorted as quickly and effectively as possibile, and the maturity to take the flack that will probably come my way off of a disgruntled resident.
    So that is exactly what I’m doing. I’d like to considder myself amoung a new generation of politics.
    Hopefully others do aswell, and they will get behind me :)
    But I completely agree, we need to diversify our council. You’re hard pressed to find someone under the age of 50, due to the work that is involved ( Hence most are semi-retired). Which is not a bad thing, I just think we need to have a wider section of society.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

I’ve got the passion and drive to hound the council officers and make sure issues are sorted as quickly and effectively as possibile,

You start hounding officers and you’ll probably find yourself in a bit of bother, people have the right to be treated with dignity and respect and that includes council officers. Hounding could be construed as bullying.

Conde
    Participant

Afron, you know full well, in this case, “hounding” was used to describe the fact that I am not going to raise an issue once, and the let it be.
    My ethos is that I want to be kept updated with situations, so that I can explain the situation to those who we work for, the people of Wrexham.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

What you ‘mean’ and how people ‘interpret’ what you say is often very different eg The Oxford Modern English Dictionary says that ‘hounding’ is to ‘harass or pursue relentlessly.’

There is no need to be defensive, I am not being critical, I am just pointing out how your comments could be perceived or interpreted.:p

Conde
    Participant

Your exactly right Arfon, “to pursue relentlessly”. People will always find their pieces to say on whatever we say, “we are the common people, we need to do what common people do” roughly paraphrased from Pulp’s classic song. Part of doing, is saying, and I’d rather not dance around too much and mince my words.
    I know :) But it’s goto look like I don’t roll over haha.
    Thanks for the lesson though, I was going to call you Yoda then for whatever reason?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News