Living in Llay

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Living in Llay

• Author

Porkyboi
    Participant

Apologies if this is the wrong place but I’m looking for local knowledge on, basically, whether Llay is a good place to live when I move up to Wrexham in a few months time.

It seems ok it you look at the crimes stats but then again there’s Stories about stabbings from a Llay resident, drugs issues etc. I can’t judge it vs say Caergwrle or Coedpoeth.

Any thoughts appreciated! I’ve a young ‘un as well so the school and general area are really important.

Cheers!

dewi73
    Participant

Out of the three places I’d opt for Caergwrle but thats just my personal opinion.
    Good Primary and Secondary schools nearby.

lazyjack
    Participant

I think Llay is a pretty decent place to live. The recent(ish) crime stories are fairly isolated I would say, so don’t let that put you off.

Transport links are excellent, you can get to Mold, Queensferry and Chester in around 12-15 minutes by car. There’s a bus service into Wrexham every 20 minutes although it does take around 25 mins from memory.

In the village there’s a decent chip shop, a chemist, 2 Co-Op shops a good Royal British Legion club, a Miners Welfare with bowling green & five-a-side pitch, a church, garden centre, too much to list really.

Can’t comment on the quality of schools, perhaps someone else can help. I know a few people who live in Llay and most of them have lived here quite a long time, they all seem happy enough.

Porkyboi
    Participant

Thanks both – really useful as all this moving to an unknown area stuff is getting a bit intense!

@lazyjack 11401 wrote:

Transport links are excellent, you can get to Mold, Queensferry and Chester in around 12-15 minutes by car.

I take it that isn’t during rush-hour – how is the traffic on the A483/A55 roundabout now? It’s probable that I’ll be heading in to Chester/Liverpool at around 7.30am a few days a week.

Cheers!

lazyjack
    Participant

@Porkyboi 11402 wrote:

Thanks both – really useful as all this moving to an unknown area stuff is getting a bit intense!

I take it that isn’t during rush-hour – how is the traffic on the A483/A55 roundabout now? It’s probable that I’ll be heading in to Chester/Liverpool at around 7.30am a few days a week.

Cheers!

Times definitely not in rush hour ! The traffic does back up on A483/A55 and they are planning some major roadworks so it is likely to get worse when they start. However, from Llay (or Caergwrle), you would be better getting onto the A55 at J35 (Dobshill) then you will avoid the queues at the A483/A55 (known as the Posthouse) roundabout.

Hope is another village near Llay and Caergwrle that you may want to consider. If you are commuting to Chester/Liverpool on a regular basis I would certainly try and base yourself this side of Wrexham.

EDIT: Caergwrle and Hope also have railway stations with services to Liverpool (via Bidston) if that’s of any use to you. I think it’s quite a slow service though.

Jonesy
    Participant

I was looking at moving back to Wrexham fairly recently, on hold for the moment, but I think there are some good areas are the other side of town, or the villages between Wrexham and Chester.

Some nice places I looked at in Erddig area (Coed y Glyn, Hermitage Park, Howards field et al) good access to town and to the bypass if you need to get to Chester/further afield.

Rossett and Marford also nice on the old Chester Road.

Also looked at some of the new ish build flats around Wrexham, but they are more suitable for couples/singles than someone with family.

MP1953
    Participant

House prices in the surrounding villages tend to be cheaper, for example Coedpoeth, Llay, Caergwrle, Johnstown etc. where as in the town along with the Gresford, Marford, Rossett areas properties are more expensive, thats not to say they are necessarily better places to live..

Trixie
    Participant

acacia court and birch close are ok.

Trixie
    Participant

My Neighbours child goes to Llay school.it is all new and very good by all accounts.
    Also children qualify for Darland Secondary school.

Porkyboi
    Participant

@Trixie 11410 wrote:

My Neighbours child goes to Llay school.it is all new and very good by all accounts.
    Also children qualify for Darland Secondary school.

Is Darland the better one then? I thought castellated Alun was the top school in the area?

Ta!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News