Live Webchat With Inspector Paul Wycherley

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Live Webchat With Inspector Paul Wycherley

• Author

Mike
    Participant

(If I’m allowed to ask one!)

What is Insp Wycherley (& NW Police)’s view of how their (increased) social media presence has been received and is there a perception of increased respect for PCSO’s especially as a result of informing and engaging with the public?

DR
    Participant

@Rondetto 11765 wrote:

Eighteen months ago my car windows was smashed by two young males in the car park behind Chester street,they took a few things from inside. The police officer who attended the scene came to my home later that day and said they had the two males in custody and that the incident was recorded on CCTV. I waited 3 or 4 months then rang the station to ask what had happened since and was told the pair had been released without charge. I was left to pay £450 damage to my vehicle myself through no fault of my own.
    I would ask Inspector Wycherley why an incident such as this leaves the owner in debt and the culprits walk free.

Good afternoon. I am not aware of this specific incident but it appears that the service you have received is beneath what I would expect. Call me personally on 101 so I have your details, I will research the matter in full and update you. Paul Wycherley.

DR
    Participant

@Mike 11767 wrote:

(If I’m allowed to ask one!)

What is Insp Wycherley (& NW Police)’s view of how their (increased) social media presence has been received and is there a perception of increased respect for PCSO’s especially as a result of informing and engaging with the public?

I feel that it has been received very well – from the outset the goal was to find a way to engage with the community as events were happening, not days later in the press. What frustrates me sometimes though is that in some cases (ie when we have just made an arrest) I cannot broadcast details as quickly as I would like as there I have to be careful not to prejudice an investigation. 2 weeks ago I saw that our response to an incident in the public lavatories was considered disproportionate just to deal with what was thought to be a drunk. In actual fact serious offences have been committed which I could not comment on at that time.
    With regard to the second part, PCSOs using social media is encouraged as they must seek to find ways to engage with the communities they serve, and the feedback I get, particularly from younger people, is that it has been welcomed. Paul Wycherley.

Chris
    Participant

Arson has been a major issue in Wrexham County for the last couple of years.

What is being done to catch the idiots who responsible?

Do you think policing would be better in Wrexham if rural and town police were combined rather than being independent. Ie town police attending a job in Rhos or Llay rather than waiting for rural police to become available.

DR
    Participant

@Adam 11766 wrote:

What is the long-term plan for dealing with alcohol and drug users who congregate around the town, specifically within the shadow of the police station – Llwyn Isaf, The Peace Gardens, Waterworld carpark and behind the Ebeneser chapel..?

There have been arrests made recently of people using drugs around the bandstand. My stance is anyone caught using drugs faces Police action.The wider question though is more of a challenge to resolve. We regularly meet with the Council and all of the statutory and voluntary agencies that have dealings with alcohol abusers and homeless persons who frequent the town. The work is in its early days and so I am not yet sure of what the long term result will be, but be assured the issue is discussed regularly as part of our anti social behaviour reduction strategy. This is a current issue and I will update this thread as time goes on. Paul Wycherley.

DR
    Participant

@Chris 11770 wrote:

Arson has been a major issue in Wrexham County for the last couple of years.

What is being done to catch the idiots who responsible?

Do you think policing would be better in Wrexham if rural and town police were combined rather than being independent. Ie town police attending a job in Rhos or Llay rather than waiting for rural police to become available.

All arsons are investigated and a dedicated team exists to look into these types of offences. Some notable successes have been achieved and I am aware of a prison sentence being administered recently. I can see a further similar question regarding what is being done to try to prevent these types of offences as well.

With regard to the second part of the question, we in fact tried this in May 2011, when we moved to what is call “hub” policing. What we found was that local knowledge was lost and with it went a sense of “Pride of patch”. Local people tell us that they prefer to get to know their regular officers and so we went back to the traditional tried and tested methods. Hope that helps! Paul Wycherley..

DR
    Participant

Question from Nick Bell via email:

“What is happening regarding the spate of car arson attacks in Wrexham over the last few years?”

DR
    Participant

@SarahEdwards 11763 wrote:

Hello, I found this link from Facebook’s Save Plas Madoc Leisure Centre Campaign page.

Firstly, I’d like to thank Inspector Wycherley for this opportunity to ask him questions and also pass on my thanks to the brave blue thin line he is in.

I would like to ask Inspector Paul Wycherley, does he think that the closure of Plas Madoc Leisure Centre will result in more crime in the area and more youngsters turning to crime?

I’d also like to know if thinks the closure of Plas Madoc will result in more costs in both time and finance for North Wales Police?

I look forward to your answers.

Thanks Wrexham.com for this opportunity!

Thanks for your appreciation – unfortunately Plas Madoc is not on my “patch” as I look after the town so I am not really sighted on the issue. I have passed your question to the Inspector for Wrexham rural for comment. Paul Wycherley

DR
    Participant

@darryl 11773 wrote:

Question from Nick Bell via email:

“What is happening regarding the spate of car arson attacks in Wrexham over the last few years?”

Quite a lot has been done and the work continues. We have youth outreach workers funded as part of our arson reduction team who work in communities, engaging with youngsters at street level. Quite apart from educating kids about how the victim of arson feels, they also explore the obvious dangers to the kids themselves. Our PCSOs assist our partners North Wales Fire and rescue service to deliver the Phoenix project, again this teaches youngsters about team work, respect for their peers and communities and has been hailed a great success. This is a particularly serious offence and was made the highest priority by the Caia park Community Council in a meeting at the end of last year. My officers have, and will continue to work with the communities, North Wales Fire and rescue service and others to continue to reduce the incidence of these crimes. Hope that helps, Paul Wycherley.

DR
    Participant

@Ferret 11750 wrote:

I’d like to ask why perfectly well police officers are allowed to retire (often on on “health” grounds on full pension at 50 and get a job with the same police force the next week. But he wouldn’t answer that would he?

Why wouldn’t I answer that one? Officers retiring dates depend on what year the officer actually joined the Police service. If he/she subscribed to the pension scheme from 1987 then under that scheme officers retired after 30 years service. So if the officer joined at age 20, then indeed they could retire at 50, in effect that was the terms and conditions they signed up to when joining. It was often the case that retired officers applied for civilian posts in the Police service after they retired and more often than not their applications were successful as they had years of experience to fall back on and required little training. The current pension scheme is different and officers have to work longer before they are able to retire. Paul Wycherley

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Live Webchat With Inspector Paul Wycherley’ is closed to new replies.

More...

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News