Litter fines

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Litter fines

• Author

Daave63
    Participant

[quote quote=113014]Perhaps the most effective for dog owners would be for the animal to be put in a dog pound until the penalty is paid- being without their beloved animal may have more of an effect than a financial fee!

[/quote]

Peter, even you must think that’s a bloody stupid idea!

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Just fed up of people trying to justify on here why they should not do something when everyone knows in their heart of hearts and conscience they just should not be dropping things or leaving their dog mess.

AquaMagic
    Participant

I don’t drop litter but the fear of being accused of dropping litter itself would keep me away from the town center.

I find it very scary that a private company is being used to issue the litter fines and I think every day we are moving closer to 1984.
    We have even politicized the police force as well as privatized it along with everything else… schools hospitals etc.

Far better to say at home where it’s safe and warm away from the scary outside world and do all my shopping online.

zinger
    Participant

Peter the Watcher – Which post or poster said that anyone deliberately dropped litter? Selective reading I’m afraid.

Aqua Magic – I agree.

F Warp – Spot on.

MP1953 – Word blind – can’t read or take in what he /she is reading. Nobady can be that perfect.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The rather innocuous thread started by saddo has degenerated over 4 pages to a point where it seems that certain regular contributors have entered into a contest to see who can come up with the most absurd observation.

If those opinions are discounted or at the very least, put to one side, the consensus of opinion of those that have attempted to make pertinent observation, is that littering and dog fouling is not acceptable. It has also become clear that public opinion is that WCBC have taken the sledgehammer approach to solve a situation that has quite rightly, alienated much of the general public.
    As has been stated previously, only easy targets are vulnerable during daytime hours when resources are at their maximum, but during the hours of the nighttime economy, the ‘enforcers’ are safely tucked up at home in bed. It would seem that no provision has been made for flexible working.
    A rethink of the approach after only 6 weeks is long overdue, but knowing WCBC as we all do, the last thing that is likely to happen is that we get an admission that we got things wrong, yet again.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=113054]The rather innocuous thread started by saddo has degenerated over 4 pages to a point where it seems that certain regular contributors have entered into a contest to see who can come up with the most absurd observation.

If those opinions are discounted or at the very least, put to one side, the consensus of opinion of those that have attempted to make pertinent observation, is that littering and dog fouling is not acceptable. It has also become clear that public opinion is that WCBC have taken the sledgehammer approach to solve a situation that has quite rightly, alienated much of the general public.
    As has been stated previously, only easy targets are vulnerable during daytime hours when resources are at their maximum, but during the hours of the nighttime economy, the ‘enforcers’ are safely tucked up at home in bed. It would seem that no provision has been made for flexible working.
    A rethink of the approach after only 6 weeks is long overdue, but knowing WCBC as we all do, the last thing that is likely to happen is that we get an admission that we got things wrong, yet again.

[/quote]

Maybe it is a sledgehammer approach, but other approaches over many many years to curb the problem have all failed, and despite the majority on here objecting to the enforcement, many people will agree with it, which of course is now the way of many authorities up and down the country because of the failure of previous initiatives.

The one thing I would agree with is that the enforcement officers should also work shifts, as they do in many other areas, they would have a beano on a Friday and Saturday night in the town, and in the parks with dog owners at night :)

Captain C
    Participant

As a dog owner I get very annoyed with other dog owners that do not clean up after their dogs just as I get annoyed with people who let their dogs run around in public places off lead. I think that dogs should always be on a lead in places where children or other dogs are. Also how would the owners of a off lead dog know if they had left a mess if they cant see where the dog has been.
    I also get cross with people who throw their rubbish on the ground or out of their car windows. But apart from education on how to behave I think the council should supply more litter bins at places were dog walkers go.

I do not agree with people being fined for accidently dropping a bus ticket (or whatever) out of their pocket.

zinger
    Participant

I noticed in town yesterday that all litter bins have a nice collection of cigarette butts piled on top of them. Presumably people are stubbing them out but refraining from putting them in the said bin in case of fire. It may be that this has always been the case & I have not noticed before. Perhaps a separate bin needs to be provided for people to safely deposit their cigarette ends.

Geth
    Participant

I’m new on this forum, and this is my first post.

I wonder if an Alien visiting us from outer space would see that we have lost all concept of “Fair” and “Common sense”?

I’m completely ignorant – but assumed that we elect local councillors to “represent” us – and if we feel the way that it seems the commentators on here feel – then I don’t see that anyone has mentioned that they’ve made representation to their local member.

Or is it the case that the most guilty make the most noise?

Or if we want the town to be litter-free, might it not be a top idea to pick up litter (even other people’s) when we see it, and put it in the bin ourselves?

Of course – we pay the council to do it – via our tax. Does that mean that we shouldn’t/can’t/won’t?

Maybe – we’ve all gotten so scared of saying – “excuse me, I think you might have dropped something – there’s a bin over there..” in case we get attacked – but is that a reflection on who we are – more than on the other person’s character?

In all things – I guess we want a tidy town – free of litter, but I would also like the following – if someone would be so kind…
    1) Fair play – recycling crews, take away
    2) Common sense – let’s not make this a them and us, but work together to a common end
    3) Honesty – is this a vain effort to boost funds – how much is this contractor being paid – who voted for this scheme – and do they actually represent us.

We cannot ignore local politics, and then moan like mad when a decision we didn’t know about affects us in a bad way. Get involved – make a difference, or shut up/put up.

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=

[/quote]

At the Town Centre Forum, unfortunately my prediction came true.
    Yet another example of the arrogance and intransigence of Elected Members who, when faced with overwhelming evidence, refuse to even contemplate a change to their approach.
    They are there to represent the wishes of the electorate and not as stated, hide behind the statement “it was a political decision”.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News