Litter fines

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Litter fines

• Author

FWarp
    Participant

[quote quote=112976]I can’t believe that people on here are condoning dropping litter, I certainly don’t believe in a nanny state but why do people feel they have the right to chuck rubbish anywhere, even cigarette butts should not be just flicked on the floor as a lot do in my opinion.

I was driving back home the other day and the car in front of me opened his/her sunroof and threw three or four packet of crisps out of it ! Is that alright to do !!!!!!!!!!! ??

A long overdue initiative if you ask me to try and curb this disease I will call it ! :)

[/quote]
    WOW, yet again people are missing the point of what is being said! No one is condoning fly-tipping, people throwing large volumes of litter around, or even people dropping litter! I haven’t read anyone say “F@ck the law, I’ll throw rubbish where I want!”. I was simply saying that there are better ways to achieve the desired outcome (if the desired outcome is to have a cleaner town and not to raise revenue) which does not piss people off. I generally find people are considerate and approachable when spoken to in a nice way, when you start demanding people to do things and fining them, it is a different story!

What we/I am saying is, once you give a private company the mandate to fine people they go after the easy targets, as has already been said about the pensioner STUBBING out a cigarette on the floor (not throwing away the cigarette butt, but STUBBING it out) and being fined HALF her state pension for the week!!!!!!!!! Do you condone that? 70 year olds being fined half their pension? Is that a proportional and measured response? Is that the cost of cleaning up the ash, that would still get on the floor if they stubbed it out on the top of the bins provided? How many 6ft, 21 year old drunks will they go after? Or will they chose the easy targets?

Are you happy for people to be fined for feeding the ducks? Feeding pigeons? Throwing confetti outside the Parish Church at a wedding (which produces far more ‘litter’ than a single piece of litter)? Or do you have different classifications of what constitutes ‘litter’? I just hope your definition matches what the person issuing the fines definition is should you ever be in that situation.

CarolThomas
    Participant

I look forward to the first wedding party coming out of the Registry Office in the Guildhall and receiving their first bill as a married couple from a litter enforcement officer after their guests have thrown confetti — perhaps everyone better take rice or dried flowers.

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=112979]I look forward to the first wedding party coming out of the Registry Office in the Guildhall and receiving their first bill as a married couple from a litter enforcement officer after their guests have thrown confetti — perhaps everyone better take rice or dried flowers.

[/quote] That is the point. Does rice or dried flowers count as litter? As my family would tell you, I am totally anti litter. In fact I get more like Victor Meldrew by the day. On the day that the litter patrol started work, I opened my car door and a parking ticket blew off the dashboard out into the car park. It blew away before I had chance to catch it. What should I have done? I saw someone get a tissue out of their pocket & a bus ticket fell out. In many cases a simple word would be enough but that would not generate an income. These people cannot distinguish between accidental littering & deliberate littering as in throwing crisp packets & cans out of car windows. I haven’t heard of anyone being caught doing that however.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=112980]

I look forward to the first wedding party coming out of the Registry Office in the Guildhall and receiving their first bill as a married couple from a litter enforcement officer after their guests have thrown confetti — perhaps everyone better take rice or dried flowers.

That is the point. Does rice or dried flowers count as litter? As my family would tell you, I am totally anti litter. In fact I get more like Victor Meldrew by the day. On the day that the litter patrol started work, I opened my car door and a parking ticket blew off the dashboard out into the car park. It blew away before I had chance to catch it. What should I have done? I saw someone get a tissue out of their pocket & a bus ticket fell out. In many cases a simple word would be enough but that would not generate an income. These people cannot distinguish between accidental littering & deliberate littering as in throwing crisp packets & cans out of car windows. I haven’t heard of anyone being caught doing that however.

[/quote]

How then would you suggest to curtail the problem? or as it seems from some comments on here there is no problem :(

FWarp
    Participant

[quote]
    How then would you suggest to curtail the problem? or as it seems from some comments on here there is no problem :(
    [/quote]

And yet again you have misread what has been actually written.
    I need to ask, are you my wife? As you are hearing (reading) something that was not said (written), and choosing to hear (read) what you THINK was said (written), despite numerous attempts at actually clarifying what was said (written) :)
    No one has said there is not a problem, no one is condoning littering, no one wants to live in a sh1t tip! It has simply been stated that:
    1) There are other ways of approaching the problem that would arguably get better results.
    2) Fining people simply pisses people off, and there are potential consequences in doing so.
    3) Enforcement officers will chose easy targets, and will have a different definition of litter than most.
    4) This is not an attempt at rectifying the problem and is primarily about raising revenue.

zinger
    Participant

Common sense is the answer.

A deliberate act of throwing litter should incur a hefty fine. Otherwise a warning should suffice. Catch the litterbugs by the take-aways at 2am in the morning, chip papers, cans, crisp packets, polystyrene cartons, items that are not easily biodegradeable.

I don’t like cigarette ends any more than the next person (I don’t smoke) but smokers are an easy option in my mind. By all means, if there is a bin nearby ask them to pick up their nub-ends.

No-one dares to confront those antisocial little darlings who leave needles & drug paraphernalia. As many have said, one of the biggest culprits are the bin men. Fly tippers are another scourge on our society.

Have you never accidentally dropped something without noticing MP1953? You wouldn’t know would you? Be careful that you are not being watched from a shop doorway when your pockets are full of the litter that you intended to take home.

MP1953
    Participant

All other initiatives have failed that is why there is now the stick instead of the carrot, not just in Wrexham but nationwide ….

If you Drop the litter PAY THE FINE

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=112994]All other initiatives have failed that is why there is now the stick instead of the carrot, not just in Wrexham but nationwide ….

If you Drop the litter PAY THE FINE

[/quote]

I answered your questions as best I could but you haven’t answered mine. Key words are deliberate, accidental, easy-targets, pensions & thought. Oh & common-sense.
    As Chris said, a fine was attempted to be issued for what the litter patrol thought they had seen. Fortunately that guy had plenty of witnesses. What do you think should have happened in that instance?

MP1953
    Participant

You all best start saving your pennies if you want to carry on throwing your litter, dog poo, fag stumps whatever all over the place, they are watching you :) :)

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Perhaps the most effective for dog owners would be for the animal to be put in a dog pound until the penalty is paid- being without their beloved animal may have more of an effect than a financial fee!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Employees smash Manchester Marathon in aid of North East Wales Mind

News

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News