Litter disposal in Wrexham.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Litter disposal in Wrexham.

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

Just watched an article on BBC news regarding the cost of litter disposal in the UK, it is currently costing the nation in excess of £1 billon pounds per annum.

Whilst visiting the Monday market on Queens Square this afternoon, I counted the refuse bins on Llwyn Isaf and the square. Believe it or not, there are 35 in total, 3 double units within 10 metres of the main entrance to the Guildhall !.

In addition, the Council employ a litter warden who I have NEVER seen in any other location, and I frequent the town centre almost on a daily basis. I would be really interested to know the number of penalty notices that have been issued by him over the past 12 months and come to think of it, the locations, if any.

By way of contrast, the location where I, and many others walk our dogs, has one. What more do you need, one might ask? My response would be ‘one that hasn’t been riveted shut and unable to be opened for the litter to be removed’
    The result? Litter strewn everywhere!
    If we are expected to dispose of refuse sensibly, surely the Council have a responsibility to facilitate that.

Are other areas of the County experiencing similar problems?

jamie-jbit
    Participant

Its kind of related, but how is it that after the bin men have been the streets are much messier and litter ridden than before they came? If something misses the lorry or falls out of someone’s recycling box, they just leave it there to blow around and accumulate.

Alunh
    Participant

The thing that really hacks me off in my street (Bank Street) is the cigarette stubs discarded with no care about cleanliness or the law. I don’t know if the street cleaners merely go round this crap or if it is just the case that it is so frequent.

Ugh!

dewi73
    Participant

I must admit I often think the Council do a great job in Wrexham with regards to Litter disposal.
    First positive comment I think I’ve posted!

harry
    Participant

cant understand why people drop litter, everytime i need to dispose of some rubbish when out and about there always seems to be a bin close by, guess its just the way some people are brought up:rolleyes:

jimbow
    Participant

@Alunh 10012 wrote:

The thing that really hacks me off in my street (Bank Street) is the cigarette stubs discarded with no care about cleanliness or the law. I don’t know if the street cleaners merely go round this crap or if it is just the case that it is so frequent.

Ugh!

The problem I think for the cleaners are ,the grabbers that are used by the Council.The cigarette stubs are too small for the grabber,it needs a brush and shovel to do this job properly,or perhaps a proper course of training on litter picking.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

@BenjaminM 9996 wrote:

Are other areas of the County experiencing similar problems?

Big time. Moss Valley Country Park, plenty of bins, but every single one located by a road, so the council guys can just drive up and empty them…But!! This means that the west side of the park lacks any bins whatsoever, indeed for approx 700ms not a bin to be seen, but 4 bins located at the car parks that split the two lakes…..and numerous other bins along Moss Road etc.

Basically litter policy being dictated by the needs of the council staff, rather than the issue of littering and park users….Bizarre and annoying.

I wrote a friendly civil email to the ranger asking for an extra bin in the middle of the park, I even provided a google map image, with a suggested location shown…No response.

Follow Up email to another council official….He passes me on to another official…who replies that the council don’t have any money to move or add bins…I found out by google searching the responders name, that he actually manages Belle Vue Park….

So the team that look after Moss didn’t even give me the consideration of a reply…I walk the park every day, I care about it……Slightly disappointed and they certainly need to up their communication strategy.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

I might add that generally the council do a good job, but sometimes the bureaucracy, poor people skills, lack of initiative and willingness to think out of the box, can be quite trying for even the most contented of citizens.

gogledd
    Participant

Open question: IS it fair to blame the Council for the location of the bins or better to blame the people who drop litter? Or perhaps the producers of items with far to much packaging?

I saw a family coming out of a shop this week, the kids opened their packet of swap cards and dropped the wrapper in sight of a bin located near to the shop. The kids were completely oblivious to what they had just done and their parents didn’t seem bothered either. After watching the TV programme I think I am now going to politely challenge such behaviour.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Thats fair enough Gogledd, I do agree, the fault of litter dropping is always with the offender. But i’m talking about the placing of bin facilities and subtly encouraging the public to dispose of the litter properly. Walking through the Moss, you get the feeling that the Council received a job lot of bins and just sited them quickly, to suit the staff responsible for emptying them…Not actually thinking about their most effective locations.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News