Listing of the Police Station

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Listing of the Police Station

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

Whoever has submitted a request for it to be listed must be from another planet- the whole fabric of the building is decaying and certainly would not last as long as the Groves if there was a long protracted deliberation- there is nothing iconic about the tower other than it was once home to the peregrine falcons. The concrete cancer in the building means it is terminal and needs demolishing asap.

Lumps of concrete do not make historical monuments and I must fully agree with Arfon Jones PCC that there will be a budget impact on Policing in Wrexham.

Let us hope that common-sense prevails with this and the application is thrown out and put effort into preserving something in the town that has merit.

jimbow
    Participant

It is an early April Fools joke.

dagg
    Participant

This has got to be a joke. Can I press the button to blow it up.

Matt
    Participant

If you list a building you should explain how you are then going to commercially take it on and put it back into use. After everything that has happened with the Groves – clearly no winners there – just a building sat in disrepair not used for education – which is what I believe was the whole intention of retaining the building.

It is an iconic building because it loomed largely over the town, but now it’s had its use. Not being funny but Chester must be laughing at us – they have the Ampitheatre, the walls etc… then there are the things that Wrexham wants to list.

zinger
    Participant

The problem with listing buildings are the hoops that you have to jump through before you can do any maintenance work if they are privately owned. The rules appear to be slightly different though if owned by the local authority.

janeywxm
    Participant

Not sure why the station would even be considered as a listed building.

Although I always thought it would have made a great apartment block if someone had the time and energy to do it up.

Janey

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

[quote quote=164520]Whoever has submitted a request for it to be listed must be from another planet- the whole fabric of the building is decaying and certainly would not last as long as the Groves if there was a long protracted deliberation- there is nothing iconic about the tower other than it was once home to the peregrine falcons. The concrete cancer in the building means it is terminal and needs demolishing asap.

Lumps of concrete do not make historical monuments and I must fully agree with Arfon Jones PCC that there will be a budget impact on Policing in Wrexham.

Let us hope that common-sense prevails with this and the application is thrown out and put effort into preserving something in the town that has merit.[/quote]

Have you seen some of the castles that are listed?

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

[quote quote=164529]If you list a building you should explain how you are then going to commercially take it on and put it back into use. After everything that has happened with the Groves – clearly no winners there – just a building sat in disrepair not used for education – which is what I believe was the whole intention of retaining the building.

It is an iconic building because it loomed largely over the town, but now it’s had its use. Not being funny but Chester must be laughing at us – they have the Ampitheatre, the walls etc… then there are the things that Wrexham wants to list.[/quote]

I don’t think that the point of listing buildings is to make money out of them is it? More to preserve different types of buildings for future generations

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=164538]
    I don’t think that the point of listing buildings is to make money out of them is it? More to preserve different types of buildings for future generations[/quote]

So you think it has the possibility say 100 years down the line to become a UNESCO World Heritage site?

DerekJackson
    Participant

Perhaps the graffiti in the cells should be preserved, there would certainly be some tales to tell.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News