Leveson

• Author

Rob
    Participant

We have written a viewpoint on Leveson and local media : Leveson – A View From Wrexham.com | Wrexham.com

Although speaking to a few people earlier we do tend to think that outside media circles people dont seem as bothered or interested as the media itself seems to think – we thought it is relevant locally.

Are you bothered about Leveson?

What do you make of the local media?

How does having good quality local media improve life for people in and around town?

JanW
    Participant

I used to buy the Leader but they never seemed to cover much of what was going on in the Wrexham area so i stopped it about 12 months ago. I don’t buy any newspaper now and find anything i want through the internet. I found wrexham.com by accident and now this is the medium i use for local news. Thank you for providing good local news stories and features.

I believe in the free press but don’t think they should have a licence to print stories that are downright lies. I really don’t care about the lives of ‘celebrities’ which the popular press seems to be obsessed with. I want news not gossip but maybe i am old fashioned.

zinger
    Participant

Jan everything you said are my feelings exactly.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

You only have to look at the advertising ratecards of the media, “celebrity” sells.

Looking at the cameron’s reply, the inquiry has been a waste of money for the taxpayer as cameron had decided he was going to ignore it, if it said anything that would make his re-election more difficult.

However, the inquiry has been good for Cameron’s second term prospects. It’s been a political master stroke by him, he has consolidated the media to support him at the next election, rather than worse restrictions if labour got in.

His polticial allies now have control of the bbc too.

Job well done.

The report tells us what we already knew, his recomendations are fair measured, but i don’t think there will be much change to the media system in the UK.

For that, people need to take responsibility themselves and realise their own actions in buying, watching and acccessing celebrity filled media. The public (me included) contributed to and are to blame for the hacking scandals. As Paul Weller sang, “The public gets, what the public wants.”

The Leader only supports those who advertise in it or gives it business. The best thing that could ever happen to the future of wrexham would be the death of it.

Sam
    Participant

I agree with all the above comments.
    The media, like a lot of the Modern UK, it’s lost it’s morals. Anyhow or anyway an individual or business can make a quid, they will, irrespective of who or what they destroy in getting it !
    And if it’s illegal, they’ll pay some bent ‘person’ to sort it out.

Darlofan
    Participant

I was against the media phone hacking etc but have heard several arguments that have made me think twice. Hacking is wrong when it reveals things like some celebrity is having an affair but what if they had hacked Jimmy savilles phone and found out what he was up to. Different story then?

As for local papers I’ve lived in Wrexham 6 years now and read a local paper a handful of times. I use Wrexham.com to keep up with what’s happening in the local area.

Mike Davies
    Participant

@Darlofan 2608 wrote:

I was against the media phone hacking etc but have heard several arguments that have made me think twice. Hacking is wrong when it reveals things like some celebrity is having an affair but what if they had hacked Jimmy savilles phone and found out what he was up to. Different story then?

Sorry I can’t agree with that argument. By the same stretch of the imagination you could say that if a burglar breaks into someones house and happens by chance to find some documents that prove the owner is guilty of an act, then the burglar is vindicated!

Hacking should never be justified. It is totally different to legally authorised phone tapping.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Darlofan 2608 wrote:

As for local papers I’ve lived in Wrexham 6 years now and read a local paper a handful of times. I use Wrexham.com to keep up with what’s happening in the local area.

what would the legal position of a court case, if someone hacked into a phone illegally and found something bad??

Darlofan
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 2625 wrote:

what would the legal position of a court case, if someone hacked into a phone illegally and found something bad??

They shouldn’t be doing something illegal. Journalists can listen to my phone all day long. As long as they don’t publish anything that’s nobody elses business i’m fine with it. It’s like CCTV I’m doing nothing wrong so watch me all day long.

Alunh
    Participant

There are 2 issues in play here, the freedom of the press and potential criminal acts undertaken to source the information to construct a press viewpoint. Whilst the law should be thrown at people who break laws in order to source information, the Government needs to tread very carefully around the subject of controlling the press. History was not very kind to the Prime Minister, Lord Liverpool, and his Home Secretary, Lord Sidmouth, when they produced a series of press muzzling Acts in the early 1800’s and Shami Chakrabarti has already criticised possible legislation as perhaps being ‘illegal’. Governments need to tread very carefully when they act in this area because British people have fought for centuries for the right to express opinion.

It does seem ironic that the British public ‘trust’ Governments to act as a backstop in this area

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News