Lead mining in Coedpoeth

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lead mining in Coedpoeth

• Author

dagg
    Participant

My daughter live in Gatewen village and the house are selling as they are being built.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Oh shut up Peterthewinger.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Maureen my skin is thick enough to be called a winger I have had worse names — if my thread starts making people think before they buy then so be it — if it just saves one person’s life from contacting any disease as a result of past industrial pollution I shall carry on whingeing.

sparky1
    Participant
    peterthewatcher;19191 wrote:
    maureen my skin is thick enough to be called a winger i have had worse names — if my thread starts making people think before they buy then so be it — if it just saves one person’s life from contacting any disease as a result of past industrial pollution i shall carry on whingeing.

you carry on whingeing lol:d

Chris
    Participant

@Captain C 19181 wrote:

The short answer to that is YES. We obtained the records from the NCB and it clearly passes under the proposed site and is the reason the why fields have sunk and that the Straight Mile is no longer flat and has a blind summit sign half way along it.

Are you sure that is correct. Not about the location but the subsidence you refer to.

My understanding from those who worked underground is due to the depth of the mines any downwards movement would be insignificant and in any case it is the earth’s crust pushing up that collapses the mines.
    I used to imagine that were loads of tunnels underground from where the coal was removed. The reality is they didn’t shore up the roof behind the machines and the space behind just backfilled naturally as it moved forwards.

Captain C
    Participant

I’m very sure that it’s correct and could show photographs ranging back over 40 years that show the fields flat and even Mrs Crewe from the Home Farm (the people who want to build there) commented that she remembers the fields when they were flat. Locals also tell of the Straight Mile not so long ago being flat and not undulating as it does now.
    When the bypass was being built a level ranging test was taken looking across the vale (there is a level set up point at the top of Gresford Church) and it was stated that the Vale had sunk by 6ft since they took the readings in the 30s.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News