Lead Councillor for Education in Wrexham is feeling hurt by criticism.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lead Councillor for Education in Wrexham is feeling hurt by criticism.

• Author

zinger
    Participant

Lead of Education in Wrexham is a poisoned chalice.

What do Flintshire schools have that Wrexham schools don’t. Does music count? Flintshire still is holding on to music by the skin of their teeth. I read that it is scientifically proven that music is good for mental health. Perhaps it works the same for mental arithmetic.

Have Rhosnesni & Clwedog schools got proactive Parent-Teacher Associations?

zinger
    Participant

Just seen this on Facebook for Castell Alun.

Details on our new Praise and Rewards System at #CastellAlun #HighSchool

Posted by Castell Alun High School on Monday, 14 October 2019

DerekJackson
    Participant

I am not an educationalist but all I hear from many teachers is how busy they are – when on earth would they ever find time to monitor this type of reward scheme- are the different categories those things that should be normal for all pupils – why have a scheme to reward normality?

zinger
    Participant

Just sayin’ like! Trying to compare like for like between Wrexham & Flintshire schools is not easy. Music is definitely one difference that I have personal knowledge of. Through the few stats I have picked out it appears that Wrexham is a much more deprived area which makes it difficult to judge.

Rhosnesni High (who have shown significant improvement) – as no stats for Clywedog
    25% eligible for free school meals.
    Only a very few pupils are fluent in Welsh. Around 12% have English as an additional language.
    A similar proportion come from a minority ethnic background.

Castell Alun –
    7% eligible for free school meals
    There are very few pupils who are fluent in Welsh or have English as an additional language.
    Most pupils are from a white, British background.

No difference re Welsh language however most Castell Alun pupils are from a British background whereas Rhosnesni have around 12% from a minority ethnic background. That’s quite a difference.

Few Castell Alun pupils have English as an additional language whereas 12% of Rhosnesni does.
    Is that anything to do with the problems Wrexham schools have?

billycoen
    Participant

I’ll tell you what hurts,standing on a three pin plug with no shoes and socks on.

Alunh
    Participant

The Estyn Reports factor in those attributes of the catchment that might impact negatively on the assessment. It would be pointless to draw conclusions about different schools without understanding those factors that make their outcomes variable. The reports will often look at the value added consideration rather than the absolute state of play.

To answer Zinger’s point. In theory the attributes that you point out shouldn’t influence the assessment but they invariably do. Sometimes it is the case that individual teachers, whole departments or a whole school cannot cope with some of the consequences of the “difficulties” that they face, even if those teachers could more than cope in a different environment.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News