Lack of decent places to eat in Wrexham town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lack of decent places to eat in Wrexham town centre

• Author

dagg
    Participant

[quote quote=106024]The Anise http://anisewrexham.co.uk/ is really great

[/quote]
    I have had a takeaway from there, wasn’t impressed.

sparky1
    Participant

so out of the posts ive read your saying that in Wrexham there’s nowhere nice to eat ?/?

zinger
    Participant

I have eaten at Anise on a number of occasions & found the staff pleasant, food tasty and pristine crisp white table linen.

ddraig
    Participant

[quote quote=103566]Why is it that a town of Wrexham’s size doesn’t really have anywhere decent you can go for a bite to eat in the centre?

Somewhere like The Fat Boar in Mold would be great, proper hearty food cooked on the premises not plastic crap done in a microwave. There’s a real gap in the market for a place like this in Wrexham.

[/quote]

Looks like there will be soon https://www.wrexham.com/news/fat-boar-confirm-wrexham-as-location-for-new-restaurant-112800.html

Good to see a local company taking a chance on the town centre, if they stick to the model they have used in Mold I am sure it will be a success.

The chosen location also seems to be right – not on the main bar crawl

waveyd
    Participant

This is the start of a renewed Wrexham. Good news all round and please everyone, support the business when it opens. They will almost certainly do pie and chips but plenty of other stuff too.

Rondetto
    Participant

Try The Indian Ocean buffet and grill behind the Rafa club on Ruthin road, Lovely place and the food is fantastic.
    Open 7 days a week.

NJones
    Participant

[quote quote=112835]

Why is it that a town of Wrexham’s size doesn’t really have anywhere decent you can go for a bite to eat in the centre?

Somewhere like The Fat Boar in Mold would be great, proper hearty food cooked on the premises not plastic crap done in a microwave. There’s a real gap in the market for a place like this in Wrexham.

Looks like there will be soon https://www.wrexham.com/news/fat-boar-confirm-wrexham-as-location-for-new-restaurant-112800.html

Good to see a local company taking a chance on the town centre, if they stick to the model they have used in Mold I am sure it will be a success.

The chosen location also seems to be right – not on the main bar crawl

[/quote]

So the Black Horse could become the Fat Horse?

FWarp
    Participant

When people talk about ‘decent places to eat’, I get the impression that they are excluding multiples and ethnic food establishments, and really mean there is a lack of quality Italian/French upmarket establishments. I can understand when people disregard pubs that sell food, but within Wrexham town centre I can think of 3 places to eat on Eagles Meadow (F&B’s, Nando’s, and Pizza Express), 2 Indians (Anise and the one opposite the Nag’s Head), 2 Chinese (one opposite the Wynstay, and the one below the old Woolworths store), and the Lemon Tree – 8 dedicated places to eat within the town centre off the top of my head, whether they are ‘decent’ depends upon personal taste.

If you believe there is a lack of ‘decent places’ to eat in the town right now, at this exact moment, you can argue that opinion. There has, however, been several attempts over the last decade or so to establish more upmarket places to eat, all of which I believe are now closed – the Thai in the old Elephant and Castle was fantastic, as were at least two attempts at French/Italians in the Overton arcade, there was an upmarket Indian that use to be next to Chequers (Red Rose I think), and one in the old Dodmans shoe shop, and finally I remember the one under Bonkers night club (it was upmarket if I paid £18 for a steak back in 1999!!!).

The real problem here is how the town is configured, or perceived to be configured, around a large concentration of pubs down the High Street. There are far less pubs/clubs in the town now than there were 12-15 years ago, but a perception still exists that the town centre is a ‘no go area’ for families (who are the main source of potential customers) after a certain time at night.

Add to this the pull factor of Chester, and other places in the surrounding area (for example the Pant, and numerous places through Rossett, Marford, Pulford, Alford, Churton, Holt, etc.) and there is simply not enough ‘pull factor’ to bring people in to the town centre when there is so much choice with 20 minutes drive.

feedshallow
    Participant

Don’t forget ‘Dumplings’ on Charles Street. Lovely Polish grub.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=112972]When people talk about ‘decent places to eat’, I get the impression that they are excluding multiples and ethnic food establishments, and really mean there is a lack of quality Italian/French upmarket establishments. I can understand when people disregard pubs that sell food, but within Wrexham town centre I can think of 3 places to eat on Eagles Meadow (F&B’s, Nando’s, and Pizza Express), 2 Indians (Anise and the one opposite the Nag’s Head), 2 Chinese (one opposite the Wynstay, and the one below the old Woolworths store)
    [/quote]

Decent places to eat? I assume this is either an attempt at satire or else you really have lived a sheltered cuilinery life!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News

Free Easter Egg Hunt in Wrexham city centre tomorrow!

News