Lack of decent places to eat in Wrexham town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lack of decent places to eat in Wrexham town centre

• Author

EosPengwern
    Participant

[quote quote=103697]
    Is there only one parking space then ?

[/quote]

There are three of four places where you can park without going through the gap, but if they are full then there’s nothing for it but to breathe in, retract your mirrors and hope for the best.

Andy
    Participant

How about a Wrexham brewed ale to go with your Kebab.

[URL=http://s1046.photobucket.com/user/iluvgsds/media/pie%20and%20chips.png.html][IMG]http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b462/iluvgsds/pie%20and%20chips.png[/IMG][/URL]

jamesbwxm
    Participant

Errr, thanks Andy. The tenner’s in the post yeah?

wrexview
    Participant

Bacchus in Brook Street next to Scotts was closed because they didn’t actually cook any food , they imported it from the Chinese across the road !

Alunh
    Participant

There are many reasons why there are no really good eating places in Wrexham not the least the same reasons that prevent other businesses from operating in the town. Good eating places tend to cook their food on demand and the time-gap between sitting for the meal and the completion of the meal can be well over an hour. This means that the take per seat per hour is inefficient when set against cost.

When I worked in Rhyl, the restaurant owner used to provide alternative menus for the punters and during the peak hours the only meals available were fast turnaround meals; grills, for example, suddenly went off the menu. This has encouraged restaurant owners to locate outside the town where costs are relatively low.

EosPengwern
    Participant

It doesn’t explain why this is a peculiarly Wrexham problem, though. Shrewsbury, where I live now, has a dozen or more lovely restaurants in the town centre, and even Mold has the Fat Boar which is a great deal classier than anything in Wrexham (with the possible exception of the Lemon Tree, which is after all just on the wrong side of the ring road).

I suspect Wrexham’s specific problem is the general downgrading of the town centre that took place during the 1990s and 2000s, while so much of the centre lay in ruins. That was a long period of decline, and any recovery will take a long time. The strategy of encouraging a lot of clubs and bars to open around the High Street area, and of getting more students into the town, has no doubt delivered some short-term growth but it’s offputting for the sort of clientele who would patronise more up-market restaurants.

Adam
    Participant

The decent chain restaurants (such as Zizzi, Carluccio’s, Loch Fyne, etc) will look at both the demographics of the town and the success of any competitors in the vicinity. There are currently no (what I would classify) decent chain restaurants in Wrexham.

Then you have the independents. They have the advantage of looking past the statistics and through local knowledge would know that a significant proportion of locals travel out of the area for good food. It would still however be a real leap of faith to start up something in the town and if it was my house being re-mortgaged then I’d probably prefer to set up somewhere more established too.

I can’t imagine any of the up-market chains taking a punt on Wrexham any time soon so it’s left to the private landlords (such as Eagles Meadow) to make attractive enough for 1 or 2 to set-up. Then hopefully, that might create the momentum needed to persuade others.

Parking1
    Participant

I was the assistant “chef” at the Eat Easy when I left school. 17&6 for the TBone (most expensive thing on menu)!Always busy there.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=103726]Errr, thanks Andy. The tenner’s in the post yeah?

[/quote]

Someone earlier said something along the lines of ‘have you seen that spoof beer posted up?’

Pointed out it is actually proper! Any pointers where to tell people to get a pint?! :)

Andy
    Participant

Royal Oak High street may be serving Pie and chips ale Rob.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News