Lack of decent places to eat in Wrexham town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lack of decent places to eat in Wrexham town centre

• Author

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

Why is it that a town of Wrexham’s size doesn’t really have anywhere decent you can go for a bite to eat in the centre? Apart from Black Peppers and the Chinese place opposite or the Wynnstay it’s all pub grub, takeaways or chain restaurants such as Frankie and Benny’s etc. Why no nice Tapas places or an Itallian or a Sushi type place?

Don’t get me wrong I like a chinese or a curry as much as the next person, but sometimes it’s nice to have something different for a change.

Somewhere like The Fat Boar in Mold would be great, proper hearty food cooked on the premises not plastic crap done in a microwave. There’s a real gap in the market for a place like this in Wrexham. Somewhere you can go for a nice meal before going on for drinks in town without having to get a taxi in.

Sheefag
    Participant

Where have you been? It’s a Pie & Chips Town.
    (Not a ‘half chips, half rice’ town – that’s a different meaning entirely)

Rex Ham
    Participant

WrecsamGirl, in my memory, it was always so. For some reason, Wrexham people seem to prefer to eat out of town. I can only recall The Steak and Claret restaurant in Regent House offering what is now called fine dining. From the 1960’s people seemed to prefer places like the Golden Groves, The Cross Lanes, Grosvenor (Pulford and Aldford) to name but a few. I guess because Wrexham has always been a barracks town and the centre a bit ‘er how can I put this nicely, “rough”, people have celebrated their special times away from town. Having said that, when I look around, there is more food choice now than I ever recall.

On a related topic, does anyone remember The Eat Easy restaurant in Queen St? That was a bit radical in it’s day!!

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=103649]WrecsamGirl, in my memory, it was always so. For some reason, Wrexham people seem to prefer to eat out of town. I can only recall The Steak and Claret restaurant in Regent House offering what is now called fine dining. From the 1960’s people seemed to prefer places like the Golden Groves, The Cross Lanes, Grosvenor (Pulford and Aldford) to name but a few. I guess because Wrexham has always been a barracks town and the centre a bit ‘er how can I put this nicely, “rough”, people have celebrated their special times away from town. Having said that, when I look around, there is more food choice now than I ever recall.

On a related topic, does anyone remember The Eat Easy restaurant in Queen St? That was a bit radical in it’s day!!

[/quote]

Yes the Eat Easy on the site of the old Talbot was a nice restaurant, especially for the day and for Wrexham! it didn’t last that long though if I remember for reasons as above!!

dagg
    Participant

I remember the Eat Easy. They was also a place on Bridge Street were Scott night club was, Baracas I think the name was.

Sheefag
    Participant

Bacchus, it was a wine bar.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=103682]Bacchus, it was a wine bar.

[/quote]

Was it not some sort of steak house or something there ???

AKS
    Participant

It was run by Charles Roberts who I think had something to do with Wrexham FC.

[quote quote=103686]

Bacchus, it was a wine bar.

Was it not some sort of steak house or something there ???

[/quote]

EosPengwern
    Participant

I can recommend the Lemon Tree on Rhosddu Road. It’s just on the edge of the town centre, and I’ve only been there at lunchtime on weekdays rather than for evening occasions, but it’s smart and the food is good and I’ve held many business lunches there. You take your life in your hands if you use the car park, though – you need to pull your wing mirrors in to fit between the building and the outside wall.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=103696]You take your life in your hands if you use the car park, though – you need to pull your wing mirrors in to fit between the building and the outside wall.

[/quote]

Is there only one parking space then ?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News