Lack of appointment slots in local Doctors Surgeries.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Lack of appointment slots in local Doctors Surgeries.

• Author

Edgeyuk
    Participant

I don’t know if this is a common issue but has anyone else experienced this locally…
    My wife phoned our local Doctor’s recently to arrange an appointment at the surgery, to be told “Sorry there are no available appointments until “December”… ooops sorry there’s none available till next year”. Then was advised to wait till surgery was closed and then try the out of hours at A&E… or to go private..
    Correct me if I’m wrong… But don’t we pay NI contributions for our Health Service and Pension…
    Question comes to mind are they trying to get everyone to go private by reducing the services of our local GP’s or does it just come down to a lack of managment..??
    I know the local GP’s do a great job (when you can get an appointment) but when you’re ill you want to see them now not in 3 month’s time..

wid9999
    Participant

Sounds like Strathmore, Chester Road

Councillor X
    Participant

Don’t you think that the influx of overseas people moving to Wrexham could be to blame just a little bit?
    Your surgery probably has the same number of doctors but a lot more patients now so waiting times will be a lot longer.
    Please try to be be a patient patient, December will be here soon enough!
    We all have so make small sacrifices and share the NHS with the rest of Europe and beyond.

And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
    Colossians 3:14

Edgeyuk
    Participant

wid9999 I’m afraid it’s not Strathmore’s… And in answer to your comment Councillor this has been the case for quite some time… in fact how can they say they’re over booked with nothing available when I’ve been in to make an appointment during surgery times myself and the surgery is empty and the staff & GP’s are standing around drinking coffee or away on holiday with little or no cover from locums… Before you reply “everyone deserves a holiday” yes I agree but I run my own business and if I didn’t provide ample cover for when and if I’m off I would go out of business..
    As for your point about the influx of overseas people being the problem I would have to disagree, they are by no means the cause of every problem in today’s society..

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=102209]Before you reply “everyone deserves a holiday” yes I agree but I run my own business and if I didn’t provide ample cover for when and if I’m off I would go out of business..

[/quote]

But doctors are paid by the number of patients they have “on the books”. Not by the number of times they give them an appointment. :wink:

wrexview
    Participant

If this is the situation across the Wrexham area then perhaps we have found the real reason why A&E is under such pressure. Perhaps our AM and prospective AM’s should ask NHS Wales to imvestigate.

Edgeyuk
    Participant

[quote quote=102247]If this is the situation across the Wrexham area then perhaps we have found the real reason why A&E is under such pressure. Perhaps our AM and prospective AM’s should ask NHS Wales to imvestigate.

[/quote]
    Agreed… But is this problem just local to the Wrexham area or more wide spread throughout Wales… Because of my work I have to work away from home Monday to Friday in Birmingham, I’ve had to see a Doctor here about 6mths ago as a visitor. I phoned the local surgery in the morning close to my hotel and I was seen the same day in the afternoon..!!
    My children who both live in England, one in university and the other live with her boyfriend in the same city generally get appointments within 48hrs or can just call in and be seen after a short wait.. and I believe these surgeries are two of the biggest in their respective areas…
    So were is the difference…. poor management ???

zinger
    Participant

You can get a same day appointment with my doctor if it is urgent. You then wait for a call back from the triage nurse. What does urgent mean? I think of urgent as life threatening. One visit sometimes leads to another & the GP says to come back in 3 months. The receptionist says the computer isn’t set up for 3 months. Doesn’t the doctor know this?

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

The problem is the same as it is for Betsi, not a lack of money but a lack of Drs wanting to come and work in the area. My surgery has only got two Drs, over the summer we were warned that only emergency appointments could be booked as there would only be one Dr available from July to September. The lack of GPs is pushing us to A&E which also has too few Drs, it’s a self fulfilling problem. Of course there is the major issue of people wasting both GPs and A&Es time with health problems which will go away by themselves and do not need treatment. You would have to have been in a coma for the last 40 years or terminally stupid not to know that there is no treatment for a cold. In Ireland they brought in a small charge to see the GP, not to make money but to stop the time wasters. Overnight the inability to see a GP when you needed disappeared and there wasn’t a surge in death rate. Unless you are a complete numpty you know if you are properly ill or not and if you really need to see a Dr.

wrexview
    Participant

Lack of applicants is not a problem with the area , health authorities have the same problem , from Devon and Cornwall to Cumbria and Yorkshire. The government need to train and retain more doctors.The NHS has the same problem as teaching , many new entrants are leaving within the first few years.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News