Labours Alternative Budget Proposals 2018/19

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Labours Alternative Budget Proposals 2018/19

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=144963]Jimbow, dont forget the cost of the free parking space that was not used[/quote]

There is not much free space left in the car park because top management and visitors use it. It is only Fridays that it is empty.
    My sources tell me that the review of car parking has identified this and will let lower management use it to free up space in public car parks in April. This will generate more money for the Council.

Marvinuk
    Participant

Why is it empty on Fridays?

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=144984]

There is not much free space left in the car park because top management and visitors use it. It is only Fridays that it is empty.
    My sources tell me that the review of car parking has identified this and will let lower management use it to free up space in public car parks in April. This will generate more money for the Council.[/quote]

How will allowing lower management to use it,free up space in public car parks and generate more money for the Council? Surely lower management don’t park in public car parks, they park for free in Crown Buildings.

It is not the case that WCBC are short of public car parking spaces, there are ample facilities. The case that was being made was that Councillors and Staff should along with Public and Blue Badge holders, contribute to revenue.

By moving non paying lower management to park in another non paying car park does not raise revenue. It will only raise revenue if you fill those spaces vacated with paying customers. This will not happen as there is not a shortage of spaces, the spaces vacated will remain vacant.

This all comes about because of trying to raise revenue from free parking. Blue Badge holders have been targeted, why not Councillors and Management.?

Perhaps your sources could tell you if Crown Buildings will be used as the overspill car park for Ty Pawb, in which case the revenue will be allocated to Ty Pawb.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=144985]Why is it empty on Fridays?[/quote]

You will be surprised the number of WCBC staff who do not work on a Friday. They have flexible hours and put a 37 hour week into 4 days.

When half term comes around the Council offices come to a standstill, they all take the week off.

Liz Jackson
    Participant

The other reason why there are less staff during holidays is that a number have historically only got a term time only contract.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=144987]

Why is it empty on Fridays?

You will be surprised the number of WCBC staff who do not work on a Friday. They have flexible hours and put a 37 hour week into 4 days.

When half term comes around the Council offices come to a standstill, they all take the week off.[/quote]

That may the case but they do have to work the long hours to get Friday off so they are correct to do this.

Crown car park will remain as extra free Council parking until the building is sold.

Marvinuk
    Participant

Surely it is better to work normal hours so people are available all week or do problems / issues not happen on Fridays? I really dont have a problem with flexible working, in fact I wish I could do it however it is not practicable, but if people just work longer hours so they can have time off when they want I’m not sure that is right. If something happens and they have to work late then by all means the time can be given back but it should be when it is right for WCBC and not just to have a long weekend.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=144998]Surely it is better to work normal hours so people are available all week or do problems / issues not happen on Fridays? I really dont have a problem with flexible working, in fact I wish I could do it however it is not practicable, but if people just work longer hours so they can have time off when they want I’m not sure that is right. If something happens and they have to work late then by all means the time can be given back but it should be when it is right for WCBC and not just to have a long weekend.[/quote]

Surely if the people are putting the hours in then the jobs that they are paid to be completed are being done? I’m pretty confident that the manned hours element of the council have sufficient coverage in place during standard 9-5 hours with emergency provision in place for out of hours.

In fact I’d rather have staff working hard 4 days a week & being rewarded with a long weekend than what you usually get in many Mon-Fri hours jobs in both the private & public sector where people really start flagging by Thursday afternoon & then by Friday you can completely forget it, too busy organising their weekends & going for a drink on Friday lunchtime.

If you try to get anything sorted anywhere on a Friday you just know it won’t be dealt with until Monday or Tuesday as the human working brain has a fantastic way of deprioritising anything that comes in just before you are about to knock off ready for the weekend & you won’t hassle anyone else with extra work on a Friday as you don’t want to come across as an arsehole. Then most people asking about these things are of the common understanding that late in the week requests it’s a reasonable expectation that they won’t be dealt with until next week.

Captain C
    Participant

If the council workers work long hours why do they have to start council meetings (Planning etc’) at 4.00pm. They say it’s so they don’t have to pay overtime with a late finish.

Councillor X
    Participant

Everybody knows somebody that keeps work back to do after hours or on Saturday so that they get overtime. The flexible working scheme that the Council has stops this so instead of time and a half or double time, they get the hours they work back and save the Council a lot of money.
    Of course there are people who abuse this to get Friday off but overtime costs have stopped or should have.
    It also means that staff do not need Crown or Guildhall car parks and money can be made from these.

If nobody works on a Friday it means that the work has been done Monday to Thursday and Top Managers will make sure there are enough people in to answer the phone.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

News

“Constructive” meeting over odour complaints at Hafod landfill

News

Hundreds facing cancer treatment delays as waiting times hit second-worst on record

News

Thrilling new water park to waves in North Wales seaside town

News

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

News