Is our MP showing her true colours?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Is our MP showing her true colours?

• Author

TimRegency
    Participant

[quote quote=179259]..after all the majority of Wrexham voters cannot be wrong![/quote]

Argumentum ad populum – look it up.

And no, I don’t have to give a hard-right politician a chance, certainly not one that treats children and disabled people in the way that the rude facts tell us – they’re the worst sort of bullies – those who pick on people who can’t defend themselves.

zinger
    Participant

The majority of people did not vote for her.l[/quote]

Sarah Atherton is not my cup of tea but she did get the best part of the vote share in Wrexham. If all the other parties had come together under one banner it would be different but not by such a huge amount.

Whilst totally against her input re disabled accommodation in Erddig I am not too convinced about child refugees. How & why are they making their way to the UK unaccompanied? We should question the why. I don’t believe that a 7 year old unaccompanied child would be turned away without excellent cause. One size doesn’t fit all & we shouldn’t just give blanket access without a lot of questions being asked.

At what age do children cease to be children now that the vote is to be given to 16 year olds?

We have all seen old press photos showing adult males posing as children. Where were the girls in these photos?

wxmlad
    Participant

The lady is our new MP, give her a chance……..she isn’t going anywhere for 10 years, why would anyone be against her?

zinger
    Participant

Time will tell wxmlad. Actions speak louder than words & SA will have her chance. We have to look at the rounded picture. The whys & wherefores are the important bits. The article on the disabled accommodation didn’t show her or the Coed y Glyn residents in a good light in my opinion.

barb
    Participant

[quote quote=179270]The majority of people did not vote for her.l[/quote]

Sarah Atherton is not my cup of tea but she did get the best part of the vote share in Wrexham. If all the other parties had come together under one banner it would be different but not by such a huge amount.

Whilst totally against her input re disabled accommodation in Erddig I am not too convinced about child refugees. How & why are they making their way to the UK unaccompanied? We should question the why. I don’t believe that a 7 year old unaccompanied child would be turned away without excellent cause. One size doesn’t fit all & we shouldn’t just give blanket access without a lot of questions being asked.

At what age do children cease to be children now that the vote is to be given to 16 year olds?

We have all seen old press photos showing adult males posing as children. Where were the girls in these photos?[/

In answer to your question I assume a person to be a child who is under 18 but I don’t know the criteria for statistics used. I shall try to find out. I will also try to find gender information. But I would urge you to think about the reason asylum seekers leave their countries and travel hundreds of miles, often living in terrible conditions in camps and improvised shelters, are easy pickings for criminals of all kinds, sometimes for years. People do not leave their homes unless they have no other choice.
    There are around 65.5 million people fleeing conflict, violence or persecution worldwide.
    Most refugees go to a nearby country. In 2017 the top refugee hosting countries were: Turkey, Pakistan, Uganda, Lebanon, Iran, Germany, Bangladesh, Sudan Ethiopia, Jordan. Over 50% of refugees are children.
    Less than 0.3% of the UK population are refugees.
    Wrexham is the smallest of four ‘dispersal areas’ in Wales, meaning at any one time around 150 people seeking asylum are living in Wrexham through this scheme. Wrexham’s overall population is over 135,000.

barb
    Participant

[quote quote=179279]The lady is our new MP, give her a chance……..she isn’t going anywhere for 10 years, why would anyone be against her?[/quote]

Let’s hope not! A five year term should be long enough to judge her.

zinger
    Participant

Try as I might I can’t find true facts about child refugees which the reason I say that we must ask questions.

How can you find out what is political propaganda & what isn’t? These were the best I could come up with.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/how-many-child-asylum-seekers-are-found-be-adults
    https://www.unicef.org/eca/emergencies/latest-statistics-and-graphics-refugee-and-migrant-children

barb
    Participant

I read a very amusing book called How to Lie with Statistics while I was doing my degree, many years ago. And it is surprisingly easy to manipulate figures to suit your argument which has been ably demonstrated during this election.

However from the articles you cited it appears that only 3% of child asylum seekers turned out to be adult. But I do take your point, it is difficult to sift out reliable reporting.

TimRegency
    Participant

You can only speculate by asking questions. Who has said what and for what reason? Who is likely to gain if the person gets his/her way? The rich man or the ordinary person or the oppressed person? And so on.

Asking these sort of questions helped me decide that Rupert Murdoch is probably not a philanthropist, for example.

zinger
    Participant

The link for THE UK’S INDEPENDENT FACT CHECKING CHARITY states:-

How many child asylum seekers are found to be adults?

In Brief

Claim
    65% of assessed child refugees coming to the UK were actually adults.

Conclusion
    Correct, but most child asylum seekers are not challenged about their age.

Not quite sure how this equates to 3%.

I know what you mean about statistics. We were taught that at age 11. Somebody made very good money writing a book on something that everyone knows or should know to be true.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News