Is our MP showing her true colours?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Is our MP showing her true colours?

• Author

barb
    Participant

I see our new MP has been busy in Parliament. One of her first acts as our representative in Wrexham has been to vote against protecting key child refugee rights after Brexit.

MPs had the choice to vote to restore a commitment to family reunion for child refugees in Brexit legislation but our ‘caring’ MP decided to vote against this.

She was one of 348 MPs, nearly all of whom were conservatives, who voted against the amendment that would guarantee the right of unaccompanied child refugees to be reunited with family living in the UK after Brexit.

The UK has a proud record of supporting refugees,including helping children ahead of the second world war with the Kindertransport scheme, which saw Lord Dubs, who sponsored the amendment in 2016, flee Czechoslovakia in 1939 as a child.

Surely as an ex nurse and ex social worker could we not expect her to be a proponent of family values. Surely she should support family reunions. Does she not believe that families belong together?

I, for one, believe that we have a responsibility to protect vulnerable people wherever we can. Children especially so. I’d like to think that this basic humanity could be reflected in our MP’s actions. After all she has stated that she is our representative whoever we voted for. Does that not include residents in Wrexham who do not have a vote?

TimRegency
    Participant

Yes, she doesn’t seem to support her disabled constituents either, according to recent news.

This is why the Conservatives made the election all about brexit, hoping that we would forget about all their cruelty and the damage caused by their austerity – and it worked, sadly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To be fair has she ever tried to hide her true colours?
    The woman is a Tory snob who looks down on many parts of Wrexham and the people in those areas.
    No doubt she will pay lip service to those she would not normally have within a country mile of herself and play on the “nurse, social worker” part of her life and lets not forget her “military” background which she will trumpet time and again.

zinger
    Participant

Come back Andrew Atkinson. All is forgiven.

wxmlad
    Participant

Give the lady a chance, the Tories will be in office for at least 10 years jugging by the state of the labour party.
    I am sure Sarah will become a great MP

barb
    Participant

Really? And what on earth makes you think that? Her acts thus far have been negative and she has failed to support the vulnerable people in Wrexham who would have welcomed her help. Her campaign focussed on Brexit and very little else, certainly nothing local. She’s had a chance to make a first impression that said, “I care”. But she obviously doesn’t!

wxmlad
    Participant

So,? would you prefer Lucas to come back? what a great job he did for the area! On his watch a great town turned into a dump.
    Please give Sarah a chance…..after all the majority of Wrexham voters cannot be wrong!

JaneJ
    Participant

Since when does an MP have responsability for the Town – this is the role of the Local Council- Ian Lucas has been a regular at Town Centre Forum meetings, helping to run events and a member of the Gold Command looking at the issues of substance users

wxmlad
    Participant

[quote quote=179260]Since when does an MP have responsability for the Town – this is the role of the Local Council- Ian Lucas has been a regular at Town Centre Forum meetings, helping to run events and a member of the Gold Command looking at the issues of substance users[/quote]

I rest my case!

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=179259]So,? would you prefer Lucas to come back? what a great job he did for the area! On his watch a great town turned into a dump.
    Please give Sarah a chance…..after all the majority of Wrexham voters cannot be wrong![/quote]

[quote quote=179259]So,? would you prefer Lucas to come back? what a great job he did for the area! On his watch a great town turned into a dump.
    Please give Sarah a chance…..after all the majority of Wrexham voters cannot be wrong![/quote]
    The majority of people did not vote for her.l

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News